G'day (I am a newbie) - some thoughts on this one

New to VWs or just new to Split Busses? Want to know more? This page is for people thinking about, or just getting into splits - ask your questions, get some free advice, members always happy to help out.

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

dabs
Newly Converted

G'day (I am a newbie) - some thoughts on this one

Post by dabs »

Hi,

New to the site and seriously considering purchasing a split screen to rebuild. Love the site, so much information freely given...that’s cool.

Found this on eBay which i'm sure has probably already been discussed, could those with experience in what there looking at tell me their thoughts....is it a goer for one who is limited in skill but willing to learn?

The bus itself doesn’t look to bad..... there doesn’t appear to :?: be rust in those typical areas i have seen in other buses.....the barn doors look to be the only real concern.

Any feed back would be appreciated.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Volkswagen-Kombi ... 3efe4db20c

Cheers
martinigreenbus
DSKer

Post by martinigreenbus »

looks like a pretty dry unit to me.... so far the price is not exhorbitant....

It's always better to start with the cleanest one you can afford, but if you are keen you should go and have a look.
zeuspig
DSKer

Post by zeuspig »

Definitely go for a look before you bid. Even if there are small rust bubbles you can be sure to find a hell of alot more under it as they rust from the inside out.

But from the pics it looks ok, but pics never really show the full extent until you get in there and have a good look.

Welcome to the site.
MISS VDUB
DSKer

Post by MISS VDUB »

PS: It doesn't have barn door, they're cargo doors

Doesn't look too bad, have you factored in how much you want to spend on a resto?
dabs
Newly Converted

Post by dabs »

thanks to all for responding appreciate it.

this one was in Bendigo and as i am in Sydney not really an option...there will be others i can get excited about....i hope?? (went for about 6k in the end)

looking to spend up till about 10k on the bus initially....and then start the spend to get to a point equivalent to other rides i have seen on this site.

I guess realistically and i haven’t told the missus this but I’m think'n a spend of about another 15k will get me what i want....your thoughts?

need some educating on the different models though, Miss VDUB i was thrown a little of after you comment on the doors...mum always said never assume...can you explain to me the Barndoor in a VW context.
:?
sorry if i sound like a knob.
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

hey dabs... whats your name?
mate welcome. enjoy the site.
cheers matty
Last edited by Shaven on Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
martinigreenbus
DSKer

Post by martinigreenbus »

sounding like a knob is OK, being one is different... and you have not been at all, infact quite the contrary by asking an honest question, so all is good.

barn door refers to the engine lid area, BD splitties have a huge engine compartment lid, usually bigger than god's underpants, like an old black and decker tilt door...

The side doors, while having the appearance of barn doors, are probably more commonly refered to as cargo doors.

Smart to buy something that is half decent.... if you are not a handy kind of man, it's a long road.

If you can actually see and touch, it is much better. Go and have a look, because it sounds like you are just about to make a choice, and the cost is the size of a deposit on a third world nation (like Adelaide) :lol:

That will get them going hey Matty !
zeuspig
DSKer

Post by zeuspig »

This is a barndoor as you can see the rear has alot larger door than the normal splits, they also don't have the front peak over the windscreen.

Alot of people call the cargo doors barn doors because of the way they open.

As for spending 10 on a base and another 15. Sounds like not a bad budget, but that depends on what you want to do. Do you want fresh paint/rat/safari windows. Once you start doing all the accessories and mods you can double your budget easy!! (like I did)

Panel work and paint if you can't do yourself is also costly.

Also depends on what year and sort of bus you are after?

Believe me once you start replacing stuff to new it gets expensive!!

Start looking through the resto sections, find the type/year of bus you like then do your research from there.
Last edited by zeuspig on Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

hey brad... stop taking pics...
get the fcuk out of my shed... & close the door when you leave :lol: :lol: :lol:
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
zeuspig
DSKer

Post by zeuspig »

Sorry mate, I promise I won't post the one I took of you in the shower. :D
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

From experience, if you have a budget you can tripple it. :wink:
Ian 68
DSKer

Post by Ian 68 »

Some sound advise here ....mines on the road and I reckon looks and drives nice but as i was told when I started out not that long ago...These buses are rolling restorations, I don't think you ever truly finish.
The advise I was given was to get it on the road and then add the nice touches like Safari's, stereo, trimming etc as you go and can afford.
It's what I've done and to be honest the only way I can do it.
Also be patient for the right bus for you, there are some very very genuine and knowledgable people on here who will help and guide you towards a good starting point for the budget you have.
Good Luck
best
Ian
Proudly sponsored by Cunado wear.
brad@busnbug
DSKer

Post by brad@busnbug »

Welcome Dabs. Depends on what you want to enjoy, the resto process, driving a Split, or both. If you want to experience the resto process spend $10k now but you'll prob need more than $15k to get it done and don't expect to get behind the wheel for a year or more. If you want to enjoy Split ownership buy something running and registered now, $15k +and modify to taste.
I've never restored one so I can speak from experience but I know lots who have and unless you're doing it all yourself, the process can turn the dream into a nightmare. If you're not a DIY kinda guy, spend as much as you can on the one you can enjoy now. If you want to have a go at restoring one yourself, you've come to the right place. There's enough talent, experience and willingness to help on here to get whichever result you want. Enjoy it.
joshroom
DSKer

Post by joshroom »

welcome dabs! if your budget is tight then learn to weld its good fun and the nieghbours love it! (spell-check please).

P.S dont tell matty your real name :wink:

Post by dabs »

Yeah the plan would be to restore it myself...i'm up for the challenge looks nothing but fun to me...with a stack of reward at the end.

I have a 2 year plan to do the resto and as i am by no means rich see this as a realistic timeline, for me - without sounding like a prat, its going to be about the whole experience, from finding and buying the bus and then moving forward onto the body work getting the running gear right etc...I really want to try and do a great deal of the work myself (that’s the idea anyway...) and as Ian 68 mentioned hopefully be able to lean on the experience of others within DSK who have been there before.

Zeuspig- thanks for the barndoor explanation.... appreciate it.

cheers to all.
Nick
:)