My 62 11 window resto - she is finished!(new pics 24 June)

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Very nice!
So will you be sticking with the original swing-axle reduction-hub tranny, fitting a straight axel kit or going IRS.
And what sort of engine will it pack.......capacity, carbs, exhaust, etc?
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

thanks.
Going to stick with og box and hubs have just been rebuilt. Eventually I'll shelve these and go IRS. Engine has been stripped, thrust cut bering re-machined and going back together in the next week or two.

Going to be an 1835 twin with mild cam, a flash carby and a nice pipe - but that's about it

Planning on building an original motor for her with an old block I've got, but that will be once the rest is done.

This is how I am hoping she will end up looking
Attachments
this is what I am aiming for - getting the interior done by Brad and bus n bug - lovely bloke!
this is what I am aiming for - getting the interior done by Brad and bus n bug - lovely bloke!
28452.jpg (75.13 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
want her to look a little like this - and this type of colour scheme
want her to look a little like this - and this type of colour scheme
201548.jpg (91.99 KiB) Viewed 1941 times
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

oh yer, after some referrals, I found these pieces the the other day on Samba - so they are on their way from the US
Attachments
RHD version being made up for me
RHD version being made up for me
bus seat end[3].jpg (75.43 KiB) Viewed 774 times
2031651.jpg
2031651.jpg (57.79 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
2031653.jpg
2031653.jpg (34.43 KiB) Viewed 1939 times
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

Been a little while so thought I'd update you all on the progress. Nearly all of the welding has now been sorted, and Geoff is busy grinding it all nice and neat. He is hoping to have the panel work knocked into shape and ready for paint in two weeks - can hardly wait (neither can the wallet).

As you wil see further down, have also coasted the car with rust conqueror. Apparently this stuff doesn't convert the rust, it simply seals it (perfect for those places you just can;t get into), and thus eliminates it getting any worse - if their happens to be any in those spots. Thought it was best to get into those places you just can't see. Apparently tests have proven this stuff performs better than gal. Once the car is complete, we will also have it gone over by the local rust prevention bloke.
Attachments
yep that bald bloke is me - and to think I'm only 35.  Anyway, welding done - we are spraying Rust Conqueror in every nook and cranny
yep that bald bloke is me - and to think I'm only 35. Anyway, welding done - we are spraying Rust Conqueror in every nook and cranny
DSCF0058.jpg (60.64 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
this applicator made the process of applying the rust conqueror all the more easy.  Drilled holes in around 8 places (bought grommets to suit) and have given the inside of main chasis, window frames, subframe where the floor meets, most seams etc etc a ni
this applicator made the process of applying the rust conqueror all the more easy. Drilled holes in around 8 places (bought grommets to suit) and have given the inside of main chasis, window frames, subframe where the floor meets, most seams etc etc a ni
DSCF0059.jpg (54.25 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
panel in place
panel in place
DSCF0076.jpg (45.64 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
sill in place - we also use the inner sill strengthener
sill in place - we also use the inner sill strengthener
DSCF0075.jpg (49.96 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
that is going to look nice
that is going to look nice
DSCF0051.jpg (37.14 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
that's a pretty big gap
that's a pretty big gap
DSCF0057.jpg (40.62 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
hmmm - now what
hmmm - now what
DSCF0049.jpg (43.12 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
DSCF0048.jpg
DSCF0048.jpg (40.08 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
DSCF0045.jpg
DSCF0045.jpg (51.01 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
DSCF0046.jpg
DSCF0046.jpg (35.55 KiB) Viewed 1890 times
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

Long time no see.

Anyway, Resto has been chugging along smoothly. I think we are at around 240 hours thus far - and hope to be applying colour with the next 2 weeks

Here are some of the latest pics.
Attachments
The complete passengers side sill has been removed and replaced, along with a large section of the floor
The complete passengers side sill has been removed and replaced, along with a large section of the floor
DSCF0102.jpg (52.15 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
A section of the floor.  The panel beater Geoff took the time to even get the ribs rounded of so it look nice and factory.
A section of the floor. The panel beater Geoff took the time to even get the ribs rounded of so it look nice and factory.
DSCF0103.jpg (51.35 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
The nose - and yes that is bog.  All dents have been removed, this is just to make sure that it is as flat as / finished off as good as new.  Still to sand back so will be the finest of layer.
The nose - and yes that is bog. All dents have been removed, this is just to make sure that it is as flat as / finished off as good as new. Still to sand back so will be the finest of layer.
DSCF0099.jpg (46.31 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Bit more of the floor
Bit more of the floor
DSCF0105.jpg (46.56 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Here you can see where rust had gotten to it - so we have blasted it back, and finished off the lip with bronze. Still to be finished.
Here you can see where rust had gotten to it - so we have blasted it back, and finished off the lip with bronze. Still to be finished.
DSCF0106.jpg (44.23 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
The original owner had cut out the valance to fit in a dual exhaust motor.  So that has been fixed, just needs finishing.
The original owner had cut out the valance to fit in a dual exhaust motor. So that has been fixed, just needs finishing.
DSCF0107.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
Here you can see a lot of the panel work, shrinks etc etc - getting ready for a layer of polyester to make things nice and smooth
Here you can see a lot of the panel work, shrinks etc etc - getting ready for a layer of polyester to make things nice and smooth
DSCF0097.jpg (45.04 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
This side is all but done, just the door to be rubbed back and a layer of polyester to be applied.
This side is all but done, just the door to be rubbed back and a layer of polyester to be applied.
DSCF0100.jpg (39.46 KiB) Viewed 1831 times
byronbus
Admin

Post by byronbus »

Looking great, what colours?
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Gorgeous bus, mate.
And don't worry.......I'm also 35 and I reckon I probably have less hair on top than you. :(
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
brad@busnbug
DSKer

Post by brad@busnbug »

Looking real good Jason. Mazing how little there needed to be done.
Penguin
DSKer

Post by Penguin »

Great work on your bus Jason. But your hair loss should not be discussed in members rides - it belongs under lost and found, or wanted to buy.
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

kombi1976 wrote:Gorgeous bus, mate.
And don't worry.......I'm also 35 and I reckon I probably have less hair on top than you. :(
jason... gr8 work mate. keep the pics coming!!!

as for the hair boys... ur not even in the race as far as lack of goes :lol:
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
chillax
DSKer

Post by chillax »

Looking good mate :D
Keep the pics coming
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

Still at it - have to finish all panel work and be ready for paint by next weekend - panel beater is moving to Perth to live!!!!
Attachments
some of the inner - we decided to replace the drivers side sill as well.  Only had a few rust spots, but thought, we've come this far - may as well give myself peace of mind
some of the inner - we decided to replace the drivers side sill as well. Only had a few rust spots, but thought, we've come this far - may as well give myself peace of mind
DSCF0113.jpg (45.44 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
See - wouldn't even know it was replaced
See - wouldn't even know it was replaced
DSCF0115.jpg (31.79 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
Passenger side looking nice and straight
Passenger side looking nice and straight
DSCF0114.jpg (26.83 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
still got the front to do
still got the front to do
DSCF0116.jpg (39.89 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
bit of work on the back still to do
bit of work on the back still to do
DSCF0117.jpg (26.57 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
Inside jacking point and floor ready to go
Inside jacking point and floor ready to go
DSCF0119.jpg (41.81 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
New dude
DSKer

Post by New dude »

So, it's been a while but thing are back moving along again. The original panel beater has gone, but a panel shop has agreed to help and have a few of its workers work weekends when available to push the car through. Had 40 hours last weekend and she looks great. Need the roof finishing, then interior and underside prepped for paint. Sides, front and rear are right to go. Will post some pics of her soon.

While I am at it, I thought I'd post some pics of the upholstery that Brad from Bus N Bug has put together for me. As you will notice, I am getting the entire drink tray unit, plus seat, door cards, along with hood lining and side lining also _ the entire complete interior.

Now I must point out that I am not getting a reduction in price, a spotters fee or indeed any incentive for saying this, but as far as professional, helpful and downright honest people to deal with, Brad from Bus N Bug has been 10 /10. Seriously, he has gone well beyond the call of duty, and spent a great deal of time ensuring that I get, what I consider, to be a concourse job in respect to the interior - it's just fantastic and I know it will make the difference between a great job and an outstanding job. Thanks Brad, and seriously, if I can get you to Cairns to fit it for me, that'd be great!
Attachments
IMG_3376crop.jpg
IMG_3376crop.jpg (38.87 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
IMG_3380crop.jpg
IMG_3380crop.jpg (40.65 KiB) Viewed 1602 times
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

hey jason...
mate gr8 pics... yes we know ur on the payroll... :lol: we also know how good brads work is!!! AND that is a plug :!: :!: :!:
love ur interior... love the colours. looking forward to seeing the coming weeks.
matty
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about
Hoves
DSKer

Post by Hoves »

Alright, whilst we are all at it. Yep, Brad not only produces 10/10 interiors, but is also fantastic to deal with.

PS Brad - this time make the cheque out to Hoves Incorporated !