57 Microbus - Moss, but not as bad as Moss Monster!

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

barny
DSKer

Post by barny »

do you have the rear bar for this?
hjsimpson01
DSKer

Post by hjsimpson01 »

Thanks Leroy & Shaven. I had not seen it until i spotted this one (I've only been into VWs for a relatively short while)

I actually like the colour too, and the other half also, so that always goes down well.. Rat... yeah for now, until I have dollars for a proper job... I suppose if the rat look grows on me then I will leave well enough alone.. Unfortunately the seller of Otto had already parted with the doors to someone else on another Microbus. The doors I got for Otto (not pictured) are off a 58, so will need a re-skin on one and the other needs a colour change. Some parts will be non original paint... Sad I know... perhaps I can perfect my skills at making paint look aged... :)

Barny - pm sent...
Where there's a Will there's a Kombi....

<b>KERMIT</b> - 1957 PG/SG Microbus
<b>PAT</b> - 1964 PMG Panel
<b>GOGH</b> - 1965 PW Kombi
volma1
DSKer

Moss

Post by volma1 »

Here is a pic of the og doors on the bus as sold to Matt Brinsden of Shannons in Melb many moons ago. volma1
Attachments
7DoorType2-1.jpg
7DoorType2-1.jpg (22.55 KiB) Viewed 2616 times
volma1
DSKer

Post by volma1 »

Sorry forgot to mention this was a double door panel. volma1
volma1
DSKer

Post by volma1 »

Also forgot to mention was sold as a runner(just going as it had a broken crankshaft) but still driven onto the boat. But as I sold it for $800 what a bargain back then. volma1
PS wonder where it is now.
hjsimpson01
DSKer

Soooo

Post by hjsimpson01 »

Let me get this right then...

The bloke with the panel got my Microbus Doors, and I got his Panel doors... Right... so now all I need to do is appeal to his better nature and suggest a swap, as obviously my doors would suit him better and vice versa...

;)

Thanks for the input there Volma, hopefully this will confuse people more..

Now $800, that's heaps cheaper, I paid that for my running reco motor..... :(

Got some more bits? :P

volma1
DSKer

mos

Post by volma1 »

I'll bet Matt has surrendered it in favour of another project by now, but you never know. Some people on here would know him, so appeal to their better side and hunt him down. Cheers, Greg
kroozzn62
DSKer

Post by kroozzn62 »

very nice, dont u love cutting compound
i will split again
hjsimpson01
DSKer

Post by hjsimpson01 »

My elbows hurt... Yes cutting compound OK, but using three grades of wet and dry to begin with, as the paint is quite thick in spots.. The gutters have been bashed well out of shape in each corner to allow for better drainage. I'm sure it saved the roof as there was little leaf clutter at all, but it's such a pain to beat back into form without crushing corner shape of the roof.

I dare say I will have to go over with a prepping agent and blow a quick coat of clear once all sorted. Plus there are a few spots that will lend itself to my friend's airbrush.

Calling ALL friends of MATT who bought Greg's other van with my doors!!!

I have had an offer of a couple of others, which I will buy anyhow, always good to have spares, plus then I can choose the best pair in original paint!

Seats seem to be hard to find! :P

Also, I had a look on roy's site for tail lights, however he has listed 1958 onwards but nothing 57? I think from what I have seen the 57 had similar lights, the shape is identical, but I think the workings behind were different. Can anyone confirm? I need a set.. along with semaphores... So anyone who can help there, I'd really be appreciative!

More shots this weekend... I will get some more work done on Saturday I reckon... Seeing just how bad the floor really is, and the underside too. Up on stands now, so I should be able to cover myself in rust powder...

:)
Ahhh the joys....

nicko
DSKer

tailights

Post by nicko »

58 Standard
Wanted:
Caramel Front seat for 58 to 60 model. Not the hump style one. Any caramel interior stuff will be of interest
hjsimpson01
DSKer

Post by hjsimpson01 »

ahhh, ok... so according to mynameismud
------------------------------------ quote from TheSamba.com -------------------
mid55-mid57 european models had reflective taillights so no use for reflectors. see above)

mid 57 => up (US and Euro) no longer used reflectors. New taillights were reflective

-------------------------------------------end quote---------------------------------

And it looks like the brake/reflector combo tail light is the type.
The Engine lid I am fairly sure should have the third light. At least everything I have read leads to this. But of course this could all change. According to John mine was a April 57 ship (June assembly), Thereabouts.

hjsimpson01
DSKer

Update

Post by hjsimpson01 »

Just a non picture update...

Have rubbed back a bit more of the old paint.
Also have ascertained the parts needed, got a price from Elton for the metal and waiting on a price from a fellow member for some replacement bits I need.
Started fixing up the gutter area where the awning was bolted on, have also started fixing up the gutter drain corners which were made bigger (I'm actually confident this helped save the majority of the gutter area from rust!)

Also tidying up the Engine bay at the moment, I think I have what qualifies as a dirt pit now from all the stuff that came out of around the fuel tank! Any tips on best ways to clean up surface rust in the engine bay area would be greatly appreciated! very fiddly... If It can be made easier then I'm all for it...

I've also bashed out the rear passenger corner dent and started on the driver's side rear corner damage. The floors have had all the rust vaccumed up so I can see what I have to deal with there too. Now I can see the garage floor! Not as bad as first thought, but I think I will still go with a new floor for the cargo area. Need a passenger side floor in front and just bits replaced in driver's side.

Needing a few bits underneath - Passenger wheel well outrigger, rear chassis cross brace (the one with the heater pipe through it) and I figured if I am replacing the floor and inner and outer sill on both sides I might as well do the floor crossmembers too... SO all that will be ordered soon and then the fun starts...

I do have a split I am looking for transport for from Brisbane as far south as I can get it... So If anyone knows of someone coming back down at least to Melbourne with an empty load and they want some dollars...???

Tasmania, of course would be awesome.... but I doubt anyone could be that lucky... I have 3 months or maybe more to organise.... SO no rush...

Still after:
- Tail lights (flat round reflector type, or bubble type if I have to - lens & Chrome & housing)
- Engine lid
- Engine lid brake light
- Cargo Doors
- Rear Bumper
- Middle Seat
- Rear Seet
- Wiring loom - may buy a new one if available... Or if anyone has a diagram I can have it made... ??

Any other bits in OG colour would be looked upon as a worthwhile purchase too, like fuel flap, steering wheel (black I think), parcel shelf under dash.

Anyhow, enough rambling.. Just letting everyone know where it's at... still years away from completion, but I figure every day I can do something to him, I might as well, even if it is only a little thing that makes me think I am procrastinating... It still would have to get done at some point!

R

kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Wow, just noticed this one.
Amazing stuff and I love the paint.
I really hope you can track down those doors.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
Dasdubber
DSKer

Re: Update

Post by Dasdubber »

hjsimpson01 wrote:
I do have a split I am looking for transport for from Brisbane as far south as I can get it... So If anyone knows of someone coming back down at least to Melbourne with an empty load and they want some dollars...???

R
Shoot Steve Muller (Kombi Rescue here on dsk) a PM as I think in a couple weeks he may have an empty trailer heading south from gold coast to sydney (unless he has already organised a backload).

Al
hjsimpson01
DSKer

Post by hjsimpson01 »

Hopeful for tracking doors down too.... and Yes loving the paint... There is a fair bit that won't be able to remain OG... But we'll see...
The biggest problem is the Sand Green, when they rubbed back to put the newer colour over they rubbed quite well... :(

Thanks Dasdubber, will contact Steve (again) I emailed him a separate matter... I'm guessing he hasn't been to check emails for a day or so.

It's all good.. I can go two weeks without checking sometimes...