1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

braddick
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by braddick »

Yep that would be revolks in early October at Lorne caravan park always a great weekend away and a gathering on Sunday at Geelong foreshore to park up and display your VW
There will be convoy leaving Adelaide Thursday arvo to camp the night at my place before we head off altogether Friday morning to Lorne
Have a word with copper and he will be able to fill u in on details
Cheers
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

braddick wrote:Yep that would be revolks in early October at Lorne caravan park always a great weekend away and a gathering on Sunday at Geelong foreshore to park up and display your VW
There will be convoy leaving Adelaide Thursday arvo to camp the night at my place before we head off altogether Friday morning to Lorne
Have a word with copper and he will be able to fill u in on details
Cheers
Excellent, cheers for that, penciled in :)
gaz
DSKer

Post by gaz »

Nice work mate, good job.
What Mig welder do you use? Single phase?
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Yea mate, Unimig Razor 175, single phase.
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Looks like your into it now up to the elbows.
Good info and tips for newbies. Get the wife in the shed now and then, so you keep diplomacy :D

Cheers Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

lol, yep a little marital diplomacy goes a long way!!

I just love getting bits!! Another member (Griffin) with his very cool 23 window restoration was interested in me making him up a set of the stainless steel cargo door hinge pins in return for a pair of surplus front door handles he had. Very happy to go with that as a swap, nice to be a tiny part of his build and the handles are great for mine. I have actually ordered a nice little radius tool for my lathe so I can turn up the head more accurately, once that finally arrives and I have got the process right might make up a couple of extra sets for sale if anyone is interested. Also bought some nice stainless steel socket head csk M8 screws for the cargo doors, using Phillips head and pretty much scraping the side of the door channel with the driver each time is a little too 1960 for me!! With the skt hd I can use a nice ball driver, and stainless fasteners are always better imo. And when I was eBay came across this nice copper backed plug welding clamp, seems like it might be a useful tool to have, and you can never have too many tools!! Have this Friday off work, so should have some time to get stuck in. As i said before though does seem a little like you toil away with no a lot to show for it. But every job done is another off the list I guess.

Griffin
DSKer

Post by Griffin »

Let me know if you want some proper Phillips head screws for the doors, I have s few spare....
Gordon
http://www.allaircooled.com.au
63 SC my daily driver
62 11 window
60 23
68 Country Buggy KO329
53 Westfalia trailer

56 shorty kombi (sold)
59 SC (sold)
68 Country Buggy KO418 (sold)
67 PMG sold (sold)
61 Karmann Ghia - (the wifes) sold
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

griffin wrote:Let me know if you want some proper Phillips head screws for the doors, I have s few spare....
Thanks but going to stick with the socket heads, I think they are much better, and you wont see them anyway.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Only going to get a chance to work on it today, and sort of getting to the point where I am waiting on the panel stuff I have ordered to finish off the cargo floor including the B Pillars to above the hinges which are out of stock.

So thought I might tackle the buckle in the top of the bulk head, which has been bugging me. I also thought it was a relatively simple job. Had a bit of play at just pushing it out but it was a definite crease and using force just risked bending the rest of it.

So I cut a small slit into the bend and it allowed me to easily press it back straight. I ended up putting a small patch in, I actually loaded it bent slightly the other way, then with the heat it brought it back perfect. Its not perfectly finished off but when the time comes for paint, a small amount of filler and should be good to go.

gaz
DSKer

Post by gaz »

Nice work...its amazing what handy contraptions you can put together when needed!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks, unfortunately Walter is on the back burner at the moment as I wait on stock for the parts I need to finish off the cargo floor through Andrew. Thought I might finish off a couple of things on the Senator, have been designing up a custom twin cold air induction system for it to work with the Jenvey TB's, and I am using my 3D printer to make it. Itching to get back into the Kombi but no point really until i can get a good run at it with the parts i need.

I appreciate this probably isn't the norm for a Kombi site, but in case anyone's interested this is the CAI, made of ABS.
rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Thats awesome work mate :D
bulliboy
DSKer

Post by bulliboy »

NOICE !
Mitch
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Posted this up on a the Kombi club Facebook page, and seems to have got a bit of interest. So as i think you guys know on the earlier splitties the cargo door hinge pins are dome headed, but not available, so people seem to use a straight pin, or roll pin which isn't right. So for mine on the week end I have made my own, and I have made up extra sets of them out of marine grade 316 stainless steel. The heads are polished and they look and work great. Painting them body colour is simple if you wanted. I have sets available for $100 set of 4 posted in Aus. If anyone is interested let me know by pm. I also plan on making the two lower front door pins in a similar way, hoping to get them done on the week end. They will be 8mm, just waiting to get the size of the dome.

morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Great job on the door pins.
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......