Decisions

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

greenbus
DSKer

Post by greenbus »

Looks awsome!! Can't beat the look of og paint!!
Frogsta
DSKer

Post by Frogsta »

That's frig'n'loud in real life....Eve-L.
Bound to see you around soon.
"-Hannovermetalmadness-"(Debilitating desease with no known cure).
flamed splitty

Post by flamed splitty »

ah ha the old girl does go a, got to love those flames.
flipflop
DSKer

Post by flipflop »

Hey Guys

I'm hoping to be done by the end of the year, you still on for that time, Dean? We should have a out of the garage meet down at Moffs or somewhere.
Frog, you're banned from bringing the 21, it's too nice, too complete and stock and it will make my battered blue, primer and bare metal chickencoop look like something out of Scrapheap Challenge!

It's not that loud, after hearing a harley tearing along Caloundra rd, I reckon a stinger is legal! Dean, you can have the stinger when I'm done, run your carbs a little rich and you'll have all the flames you can handle.
Karmann1
DSKer

Post by Karmann1 »

That's awesome flip. love the video.

Dan.
My busses may be rusty and they may not go but damn, they look cool!
flamed splitty

Post by flamed splitty »

going for cosmetic surgery at the end of the month (the splitty that is) so maybe the end of the year,or not. :lol: Cruise sounds good when shes all go.
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

That motor sounds totally HORN!! :shock: :mrgreen:
And the flames are to die for.
Sorta reminds me of the rod that the leader of the Scorpions had in the movie Grease.
Except it's a Splitty Panel so it's cooler. :lol:
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
flipflop
DSKer

Post by flipflop »

After all this time I have half a roof to do and then tidy up all the edges and stuff. Look like this side was sanded a bit more to either get the logo's off before spraying or keyed, but there's a bit more primer and bare metal. I may try and paint match the worst bits or just run it as is under either wax or a matt clear coat.

crewcabconnection
Mod

Post by crewcabconnection »

just gets better and better.
Cognitive Dissonance - The only way to grind.
kombibob
DSKer

Post by kombibob »

wow big job but looking great!
must be a great feeling seeing that original paint coming back to life after so long.
get down low and go go go
FrankenCab
DSKer

Post by FrankenCab »

cool as , looks good with the brms
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Wow! Hats off mate, that is a huge effort. Looking forward to seeing this thing at the next show.
flipflop
DSKer

Post by flipflop »

It's been forever, but I've finally dragged the thing out of the garage needed to swap vans around.
It's taken a little longer than expected, I knew the outer sills has been replaced because of tears rather than rust. Whoever did it decided to do a lap weld without the lap, the sill is welded behind the existing body panel, so they used bog 1/3rd of the way up the van and then went around and did the cargo door bottoms and doglegs to get it to match up.

Taking filler out while trying to preserve all the dove blue left was a nightmare. I've bare metalled the sill and left the dodgy lap (not) weld visible, I may even leave it as it stands. There's more bare metal patches than I thought, but it was a hard working van for a lot of years. I even have a bullet hole in the front panel that ricoched off the heater post and jammed the little rotating bit inside the cab (bloody yanks and guns).

All the little red dots are stone chips with the first of many paint coats still in there, that's how they'll stay

You can get a turd to shine, sort of.

Gave it a quick hit with the polisher and really fine abrasive swirl polisher, I didn't know how thick the paint was, but it seems pretty good for 52 years old.

Got a to finsh off putting the ancilleries on the engine, fit discs front and rear, polish the new wheels, the front and rear safaris need rechroming, along with handles, make interior panels and restitch the bench seat cover. looks like the 70 deluxe is the only driver for a bit longer.
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

8)
Dutchy
DSKer

Post by Dutchy »

havent seen this thread before, all that HARD work has paid off. 1 tough panel