1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

Had a bit of a play last night and got the old window frame removed, now I have been doing it for a while, kind of know the process which is good. Then got to do a first trial front fit up to show Suesy, getting there...

rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Looking good mate :)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks. Watched a few videos and spoke to Cooper. Think I will have a go at repairing the chassis member. And also think I have a plan of attack for the front. But it's insanely hot here at the moment so not much going on.
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Well on what you’ve done already ....my shout /
Attachments
8FF43AEF-AB1D-4196-818F-B062B8F32AA3.jpeg
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Lol, just about to have a coldie...

Working from home today so had a bit of a play in the morning while it was coolish. Decided to have a crack at fixing the chassis rail. First job was straightening it where it was bent. Improvised with a puller I have, and after several goes at it, it actually came up a treat. Then when I looked at the rust, and realised actually I could leave the nuts and cut out the triangle above them forwards. Unfortunately got caught up doing that so didn't take any pics. But its nice and straight and solid steel now :D Few pics
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Well that's a bloody long day. One of those where you do heaps but doesn't seem like there is much to show for it at the end. Started off by removing the pins form the passenger door. Thought I had nailed it. Then stupidly using the puller broke the end off the hinge. Luckily Cooper had one but it meant a repair. I am guessing everyone on here probably knows all this stuff but I dont, so case its useful to anyone here s my method for removing door pins.

Make up a plate that sits under the hinge with a hole in the middle big enough that the head of the hing pin will pass through. Then drill two holes outside that and use two long bolts to secure the puller. I found using an M8 socket head screw perfect, as my puller centered in the hex, and an m8 screw is slightly less than 8mm in diameter. use this to take the pin ALL the way out. My first attempt when i got far enough to separate the hinge halves I did, then when i did it to get the last bit out the end was unsupported and it broke off. So keep the hinge assembled to it supports itself. Hope that makes sense. I used the broken end to make up a nut plate for the screwing the new hinge in. I will but some decent screws, i just used what i had.

Then repaired the chassis on the drivers side. So that's pretty much the front chassis stuff rust free.

D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

That’s epic work!
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Good time to do a steering box raise before you put the front valance on, you are going real well mate, looks good
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks! I really like rack and pinion. Looking at options. 1960 cool with modern running gear is the goal.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

I seriously can’t believe how quick you are smashing this out for someone on their first bus. Keep it up mate.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Pics don't show the amount of head scratching going on!!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Was out karting with my lad today so no progress on Walter. But went out there just now looking at whats next. Seems to me maybe time to pause on the bus and concentrate on the front doors. Doesn't seem to make sense building the whole front, A pillars, dog legs etc around them until they are right? I have got both the lower outer repairs, and I have a pretty ratty donor door with the hinges cut off with a machete (truly) which i think I can pinch the top side that rusted on mine.

But I only have the drivers inner lower repair panel. I think the passenger side are out of stock in Oz, before I go ringing around chasing one, can anyone suggest who to go to, or better still has someone got one? (a long shot I know.)

Any tips on doing the door repairs most welcome btw!!

D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Lots of Swiss cheese there! Seems the pressing for that top screw is rusted out also.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

D-Train wrote:Lots of Swiss cheese there! Seems the pressing for that top screw is rusted out also.
Yea for sure. That top pressing is the part on the donor door that doesn't look too bad. What I have learnt so far is I may as well have a go at fixing it, worse case I bin it and find another door. And at I have some fun trying to save them.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Seems like its not easy to get hold of the passenger side door inner in Oz at the moment. So pulled the buggered skin off the spare i have, also cut the front headlight buckets out of the old nose. And Cooper gave me the inner front guards. So thought i might as well get them off for blasting. My lad is racing in the karting nationals at the end of the month so with that, and practicing for it, I think it will be on a bit of a go slow for a while.