1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks very much mate, I am really enjoying it.

Well, that's one A-Pillar fully welded in, right in position, doors perfect, very happy. Took most of the day, once I had that side right thought I would tackle the other side. Decided to bring it down off the lift and rearrange the shed a little so I can get around it easier. Got the old pillar out, it's rather rusted!! It needed a repair on the headlight bucket end, that turned out pretty good. Slow and steady wins the race!

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hi team, well there is one advantage to this working from home caper. I live about an hour north of Adelaide, so no commute means I can knock off and walk straight out to the shed. Last night I got the second A-pillar in position, now I have spent so much time getting the first one right, using the central string line, it's was actually pretty simple. So tonight I decided to weld it in and 30 minutes late, done deal. For fun I offered up the windscreen surround its literally a perfect press fit, could not be happier. Happy days.!!

rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Awesome work :)
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

You'd have to be happy with those gaps! Nice work!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

[quote="Cam Biscuit"]You'd have to be happy with those gaps! Nice work![/quote
I think so. I'm not totally sure as I haven't done one before. The front is within a mm or two. But the gaps are a little out but I think I can adjust them one it's all welded up. I imagine they were a bit out from factory?
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Not sure if this is helpful to anyone, but in case it is. When I was setting up my doors it got to a point where the gap in the frame/chassis was perfect but how the door was sitting needed tweaking. The passenger side was actually out a bit (maybe 4mm), the driver's side a little (maybe 2mm).

So after a bit of a head scratch and googling I was faced with ratchet straps and forcing it or an alternative. Personally to me forcing anything just means its wrong, so I came up with an alternative plan.

I got the lower hinge half and gave it a lot of heat, maybe 10 minutes with my gas flame. Once I thought it was warm enough I help it in the vice and gave it a slow steady tweak with my big shifter. It worked a treat and was able to adjust it a few mm, which got the door perfect. I decided rather than quenching it and risking building in some stresses I let it cool slowly.

Anyhow, as I say it worked out perfect, hopefully, its at least another way to get the gaps better.

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Well, that's day 1 of Walters rhinoplasty done, big day, I'm stuffed!! Cooper dropped by last night and gave me the idea of welding the window frame to the nose off the car, then fitting it as one. Used some m12 bolts through the wiper holes as a rough datum then a bit of fettling and it seemed to line up quite well. Broke out the spot welder and did a heap of test pieces until I was happy. Then Suesy gave me a hand and we got it done. Won't lie was a bit nervous about stuffing it up. Also fitted the headlight buckets I salvaged off his old nose and got them fitted with a gap for the seal. At the end of the day offered it up for a rough test fit and seriously it's just smack on the money, so happy about that. Only thing is my spot welds leave a bit of a depression, I guess that's a bit of filler at some stage to get them all sweet. Tomorrow all things being equal should get it on (hopefully).

red hot bus
DSKer

Post by red hot bus »

Looks like you’ve got hang of the spot welder now. You’ll be using it more and more. Keep smashing it mate
Way too many projects
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Cheers mate. Is it just part of it that you end up with a dimple? Do you use filler when it comes time to paint?
red hot bus
DSKer

Post by red hot bus »

The dimple is what I aim for haha a certaian someone here has a single cab with a lot of dimples
Way too many projects
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Cool. Cheers.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Lots of factory welds have a slight dimple too And they didn’t even take the time to space them out evenly. You may just be better welder than original!
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks for the info guys. I just haven't seen that many actual Kombis myself so it's great to get your input. Much appreciated!!
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Which spot welder are u using?
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Well that's a wrap. Just so excited to see him with the new nose. Truthfully, in the end, went on easy. Anyone following along, my tip is spend all your time making sure everything underneath is spot on before actually fitting the nose. If you aren't sure don't fit it yet. Make it right. I must have had it on and off a dozen times tweaking and adjusting. When the time came to actually do it it was a snap. Big shout to Cooper too for the tip on doing the window frame and nose off the car! Happy days!!