1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

D-Train wrote:Which spot welder are u using?
Just one my Dad gave me, will try and take a pic and post it at some stage.
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

Fantastic stuff, you have moved really quickly and done a great job to boot.

Embrace the dimple!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks mate, embraced they are!!

Can anyone help me, I am after pics of the lower B pillars (both sides, inner and outer preferably) Given the COVID thing I can't get hold of the parts so I am going to have a crack at making the repairs from scratch.

I am just not sure how it looks, has anyone got a pic before the dogleg was fitted? and also the inside before cargo floor is in? Thanks in advance.

vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Get on the Samba mate, in split bus section look up 66 Swedish dual cab Resto, on page 3 is what you want, plentiful pictures
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

vanell wrote:Get on the Samba mate, in split bus section look up 66 Swedish dual cab Resto, on page 3 is what you want, plentiful pictures

Dude, what a resto, in fact that's not really a resto, that's building it from scratch!! I was feeling rather proud of myself after doing the nose, now I relaise I am but a babe in the woods. Cheers for that, perfecto!! (and book marked).
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

That's the passenger side dogleg done. Big job, on/off/on/off. Got there in the end. Reckon I might keep going on this side and do the floor and also the top above the door repair. Also got the hinge Ian kindly donated, and with a bit (lots) of heat got it freed up and the pin out without damaging it :good:

splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Great work mate. Dog legs are a real pig, door gaps look excellent too.

Someone once told me to check your front doors with door-tops/glass before paint or aim to have the rear of the door 3-4mm high. Apparently they will sag a bit with the extra weight.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Yep. Understand that. Unfortunately my creative frames are stuck in the UK. But I know how to tweak it.
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

When I positioned my front posts I set the post hinge bolt plates so the door was supported at the lowest position of the bracket. The only way is up then for adjustment. Can't think of a way the door would need to be adjusted downwards. Its looking great. Keep it up.
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Cheers mate. It's seems pretty easy to massage them (the hinges) a little. A mm or two on them moves the door quite a bit.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

That's me for the long weekend, 4 days straight on it I 'm stuffed!! Got the passenger floor in, took a bit to get it right around the A pillar. Then also used the donor wheel well Cooped kindly gave me to repair the front section of it. They were pretty good just needed some new metal around the edges. It's all in, haven't fully finished welding and smoothing it off but very happy with the progress. Also over the weekend decided to make myself a mount for my small sheet metal stuff so I don't have to keep swapping things in the vice. Happy days!

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

That's the passenger side floor and wheel well done. Managed to salvage enough of the floor to make up a patch panel where someone in its life had attacked it with a machete!! Making a start on the repair above the door, man that's a can of worms, but slow and steady wins the race.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Well done !
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

That's the section above the passenger side door done, what a pita, working above you head is never easy, especially welding etc. But pretty happy with the results. I think that's the passenger side front pretty well done. So prob time to spend some time with the grinder and tidy everything up. Then its swap it around on the hoist and get stuck into the drivers side. Slow and steady wins the race!!

Also decided the Senator needed some love, so had it on a charge, this is the first start for I reckon a couple of months. I think its a bit angry I am not giving it the love it deserves :D
Apologies the vids a little dark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pcakwr ... e=youtu.be
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Good work mate, drivers side will be a breeze now, you are progressing quite nicely, keep up the pace and the welding will be over