1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

Back onto it today. Would like to get the wheel housing and drivers floor done this weekend, see how I go. Got the repair done on the wheel housing. Used the donor part Cooper kindly gave me. Was actually in pretty good condition, just had some rust on the bottom so made up a repair, turned out pretty neat. Then tacked it in place with tek screws then carefully sliced it to get a nice join line 1mm wide. Slow and steady wins the race, got it all welded up. Pretty happy with it. Tomorrow will have a crack at the floor.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Floors are in. Took my time to set the gaps etc as good as I could before welding. I think I have said it before but I think that's the secret to good welds. Even gap, and both sides level. Also had to remake the area around the bottom of the A-pillar, that wasn't even close. Actually quite a zenny job, just bopping away to some tunes out in the shed and slowly chipping away at it. Few bits and bobs to finish off and that's pretty much the front end done. Then I think onto the cargo area, back of B pillars etc. Happy days!
Last edited by VRSenator065 on Sun Jun 14, 2020 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Good work mate. Those floor sections are a pain around the A pillar, I used the autocraft and that was off too. When I put mine in I panicked thinking I’d welded my A pillar on the piss but alas it was just another poor fitting repro panel.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Yea I did the same little panic. But then realised everything else was lining up properly. Tbh I don't know why they just don't leave some green and we cut it back to suit. The passenger side was the same. Fiddly but very satisfying job tbh. Sort of feel like it's starting to look like something real.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hey brains trust, can someone help me, please.

I think I can salvage this accelerator pedal mount. But it's on a very weird angle, I assume that's factory? Do I just basically copy the angle/location into mine? Anything to watch for?

Tia.

ogrule
DSKer

Post by ogrule »

I just bought a new one and copied the angle but ended up finishing the bus and adjusting to my preference then bolted it to the floor
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

If your using an original floor mat it needs to be in the same place to fit. You can also use the mat to confirm the position before welding.
jvm
DSKer

Post by jvm »

Great work. That cab looks so clean 8)
58 Flash
66 11 Window
69 Single Cab
19 Arteon
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks all. I don't plan on using the original floor mat. I think I might "save" it then keep it unwelded for now until I can sit in it and set it all up to suit me. Much appreciated.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

jvm wrote:Great work. That cab looks so clean 8)
Thanks mate.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

VRSenator065 wrote:Thanks all. I don't plan on using the original floor mat. I think I might "save" it then keep it unwelded for now until I can sit in it and set it all up to suit me. Much appreciated.
If it decent and you want to sell it PM me mate, mine is super crispy.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

splitthis wrote:
VRSenator065 wrote:Thanks all. I don't plan on using the original floor mat. I think I might "save" it then keep it unwelded for now until I can sit in it and set it all up to suit me. Much appreciated.
If it decent and you want to sell it PM me mate, mine is super crispy.
Hi mate, sorry what I wrote could be taken a couple of ways. I don't actually have a floor mat, all that stuff was long gone when I got it. But anything I am not using on my build I will be passing onto others for theirs once I know I don't need it.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Another fun day today. Thought it was about time I got my sanding vibe going. So spent the day getting all around the windscreen nice inside and out. Just sort of did it one straight section at a time. Used the welder to plug anything I hadn't filled completely. Then progressively sanded all the welds smooth. Super happy with how it's all tuning out, really starting to feel like I am making progress. Then decided to have a crack at straightening the bent radio area. Just took my time, and applied a bit of heat. Its actually come up pretty well. Plenty good enough anyway, I don't want to destroy all its character. The last thing is I turned it around on the hoist, time to finish off the cargo area, back of B Pillars etc. Happy days.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Farkin nice job :)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

067DUB wrote:Farkin nice job :)
Cheers dude.