1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

splitthis
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by splitthis »

Good job mate. Those gutter areas are a total pain in the ass. It wasn’t that long ago that any bus with roof/gutter rust was a parts car now it seems everyone is doing roof/gutter swaps.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Agreed, they are fiddly. Nice to see it starting to come together though. Surely there can't be too much more rust...
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

What a score!! Started out trying to find a wrecked rear hatch I could make cuts from to try and fix the hatch I had. Which led me to Ian the whizz, who had a mint one for my model for a decent price (by kombi standards) Mine was only fitted in 1960/61. I reckon to find one mint, and the correct year is a mini lotto win. Also now I have everything pretty much done around the back hatch, so ticking off the big-ticket items. Fun times!! (Thanks again Ian!!)

Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

Yum!
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

by the way do you have any inner support for the side panels?
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Great to see some progress with this build again
Keep at it
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Zimblewinder wrote:by the way do you have any inner support for the side panels?
Hi mate, I won't lie, not sure what they are or where they go?
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

braddick wrote:Great to see some progress with this build again
Keep at it
Cheers mate.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Another nice day. Did have a bit of a deja vu moment a couple of days ago when I thought I would do a small repair inside the engine compartment. Then noticed the C channel thingo (does it hold some sort of seal?) was non-existant. Luckily the side panel wasn't too bad. Then turned my head and the dreaded tin worm had attacked the rear overhead back section (sorry I don't know the names!!) Also, part on the support for the rear deck area was gone. Anyhow, slow and steady wins the race. I would say, if I were to do this again, I would invest in a 1200mm folder, and a guillo. I have a small 300mm folder, but cutting everything with a grinder or shears sucks. Also turned him into a 60, with the quad taillights :)

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Well, that's one engine bay finished. shit of a job stuck inside the bay, welding above you, bla bla. But it's done. Pics make it look a little rough up inside but in real life it's fine, especially for an area you literally will never see. Coming to the end of the 3-week slog on it. Super happy with the progress so far.

rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Thats awesome work congratulations :D
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

wow this is getting better and better. For your first crack at a Bus, Id be happy for you to do mine :D
Great score on the rear hatch too ! Win - win for all.
Keep it up !!

Cheers Linz
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks! Wish I could get my password reset, stuck to only being able to post when I am on this computer. But anyhow :)

A couple of catch up posts. Whats started off as a couple of small rust hole in the inside and sides of the lower front bolt on the driver's side front suspension mount kind of escalated...
As I poked around, I found the good thing was all the other 3 were great. The downside was the 4th was bloody rotten. I ummed and arred then decided I couldn't leave it like that.

So turned up a replacement bush, welded it to a doubler plate, got it in and all boxed in. Quite neat and way stronger than it was.

Decided to do the engine hatch hinged properly, so drilled them out re-tapped the holes and fitted some nice stainless steel socket head csk screws.

Then the two top hat sections by the wheel wells on each side were completely gone. Had a think about how to make them, and came up with the idea of getting some .mm folded then doing plug welds to create the top hat. I think came out a treat, yes I know overlap joins are frowned upon by the officianados, but seriously the whole car is built like that. I used lots of weld through primer and it will all be fish oiled after too. But happy with the result. Onto the other side this weekend hopefully.

That's me up to date, kombi on!!
rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Awesome work right there congratulations :D
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

shit this is a big job, glad I was so naive at the start or I wouldn't have tackled it! Too far in to stop now :D

Last of the side reinforcements done. Took the day as I had to turn the bus around to weld up two small rust holes first, then back again and fabricated the top hat section. Tricky little sucker to get to fit right. But came up nice, I don't think there is too much big stuff left inside the cargo area. Might be time to start a bit of a hit list and cross off the things that are left as I go.