1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

Woo hoo, all the beautiful windows and front emblem have arrived from CE. So we have sort of tee’d off a bit and gone a bit top spec. So in addition to the front two safaris, we have also gone for a safari-style rear hatch window. All the side windows will also open, the front two on each side pop-outs, but the rear two some very trick mini safaris. All highly polished.

Had to donate a kidney to afford them, but both Sue and I think it will just absolutely make the look we are going for. Even just sitting in there has totally transformed it. Once the weather cools down might have a bit of a play fitting them.

splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

We all love getting packages from OS! Do the side safaris have sliders like the fronts?
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Yes they do, actually, this morning finally got a chance to fully unpack everything and see all the bits and pieces. For what I can see everything is there. Also unpacked the rack and pinion steering as well, looks like a very nicely put together piece of kit. Happy days. Be nice to spend some time on it that doesn't involve cutting, welding and grinding :D

Now to do some googling on tips and tricks for actually putting all this together.
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Looks like they’ve done a lot more r&d on the kit now
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

They do call it the "Mark 2" so I assume there are improvements, not familiar with the old version though.

Getting too hot out there now, calling it a day.

That was the best fun I have had out there since doing the nose I reckon. Took a break from cut, weld, grind, repeat and decided to have a crack at fitting up the rear safari.

Read a bit on various sites and forums and thought the windows were going to be a pita, but really like always slow and steady wins the race. And my never-ending love of Inox continues...

I think it looks so cool, will slowly tackle all the rest.

D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

A thing I found with the creative engineering safaris is the seals sucked, so I went and got some from Clark rubber that were a little larger and got them longer than what the creative ones are so when you install them yeah but the two ends together and then push in on it and it creates a better seal with more tension if that makes sense
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

D-Train wrote:A thing I found with the creative engineering safaris is the seals sucked, so I went and got some from Clark rubber that were a little larger and got them longer than what the creative ones are so when you install them yeah but the two ends together and then push in on it and it creates a better seal with more tension if that makes sense
Cheers for that, have just finished one side, so will go with the CE rubbers for now, but if they look like they leak will swap them.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Got the passenger side pops and side safari in, loving the look now :good:

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

And we have bling. That's all the windows fitted up and glazed. Once you get a bit of a method going not too hard just fiddly. But loving the look. Also had Cooper over earlier, plan is to give it to him in the new year for him to spend a few days doing some of the final body prep to make it easier for the painter. That will free up time and shed space to allow me to finish off the MG and hopefully get it registered. Happy days.

rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Awesome work right there
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

They look great Gary, good to see you are still moving along quickly.
Any ideas on who will be painting your bus? I only ask because my 67 is getting close to painting also.

Cheers Beatts.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks, guys, not 100% sure about the paintwork. I have been told of a guy relatively local that moonlights and is supposedly really good. He apparently mainly does muscle cars. I have contacted him, but we haven't met yet.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hi all, thought I might ask on here. Starting to turn my attention to running gear. I want the bus to drive/handle/stop etc as close to modern as possible. I am not after a temperamental fire breathing monster and Susie and I want to tour a lot in it, so I want it reliable, and enough power/torque to comfortably sit on 100km/h and able to climb a hill or overtake. Thinking of a nicely built 2110cc or similar.

I personally really like the ease and reliability in all climate/temperatures of an aftermarket EFI/throttle body set up. I was thinking a dual weber style set up, but EFI. Do any of you have any experience with it for a VW? I run a race system from Jenvey in the UK on the senator, and even with 750hp, I can reach in from outside, hit the starter and it starts instantly and idles. It really has so many advantages over carby, but it does mean running the ECU/sensors etc. Thoughts?

I am thinking also a front beam and IRS set up from Type E Moroports in the states. My preference is the simplicity and stopping power of all-wheel discs. Again does anybody have any thoughts on that?

Happy to get peoples varied opinions. tia.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

FI is too complex for me and I like carbs because if something goes wrong I can always get myself going on the side of the road with a spanner and a screwdriver, no wiring to check, no laptop for tuning but I’m a simple man :lol: . That being said I agree there are many benefits of running FI and if you’re already versed in the dark side it could be great it’s just a personal preference. Mick Percy in Adelaide who runs Joe Blow super chargers would be a good person to speak to about FI, I’m pretty sure he sells systems built specifically for VW. If you want a 2110 that will sit on 110km/h all day speak to the Kaniva boys (Braddick and Andrew Champness), Champ built Brads engine and cruising with those guys is like trying to follow Lewis Hamilton in his Mercedes with a Volvo wagon.

I’m not familiar with the Type E stuff but I went IRS in my bus because of handling improvements. the CE stuff is simple and uses all OG vw parts and mimics bay geometry so you know it will be ok but I’m guessing Type E is much more fancy and maybe similar to the Red 9 set up? I have a CSP disc kit for the front but didn’t bother going to disc on the rear. Drums are just as good as discs for stopping it’s just that discs will self adjust and they cool better so no fade on big hills, also consider handbrake set up if you do put rear discs on.
Chasing any Neiman steering lock parts, will consider anything.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hi all, been busy on other projects for a while, but back onto the bus this weekend. Now working through fully finishing the stuff ready to give it to Cooper for a bit of his fettling then hopefully paint.

Got the fuel filler cap in, the screws broke trying to get them out but ended up drilling them out and fitting M4 rivnuts which worked well. Also fully finished the bulkhead, so no pin hoes at all in any welds and also welded smooth a few old screw holes etc it had collected over the years. Now also have both front-wheel wells finished off, had a small rust repair to do in the side of the tray thingo between the front seats. And also got the front valance fully welded in. So a bit of progress.