59 11 window Splitty Custom Resto

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

matara
Admin

Red 9 Rear

Post by matara »

Al,

When will you be putting this on the rear to match the front?

Cheers

Steve
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Is that double wishbone I see before me! :shock:
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Haha, a little too late for this one mate.....but stay tuned for the next resto ;)
shark
DSKer

Post by shark »

That may be Isurus :P
I know what I am doing - I Think ?
bay window bandit
DSKer

Post by bay window bandit »

Al, I just had a quick look at your website, and the colour and paint quality on this bus is absolutely amazing. Great work.
Also I hear you are the Australian distributor for Red9 Design, where can i check pricing in AUD?
A bad day cruzin' is better than a good day at work.
Mats.
68 Lowlight camper on Sprintstars.
1971 Beetle lowered on Empi 8 spokes.
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

G'day mate, yep we are the Austalian distributors for the Red9Design products. Website with more comprehensive details is still in the works so best to email on al@dasrestohaus.com.au. We have been working with Simon from Red9 to try and find a cheaper freight alternative as that is what really stings at the moment plus the duties etc, we have another front end in production at the moment for another customer's bus so this will give us a more accurate price with our current exchange rate.
Cheers for the kind words
Al
PS paint will look even better once it is cut back, flow coated with clear and then that will be colour sanded....will have a very nice deep gloss!
67seeker
DSKer

Post by 67seeker »

Seeing the project finally get some colour has been a great xmas gift!!

Al got the roof painted in PPG Deltron direct gloss white after Rob spent quite a bit of time wet rubbing any imperfections out.

The direct gloss was then block sanded (wet) after guide coating and then clear applied.....later this will be cut and buffed for a nice deep gloss.

After a full day of careful block sanding Al cleaned the roof and then applied the clear coat

Front and rear bumpers will have LED indicators recessed into them – getting them evenly spaced was important

Wet sanding the bus in preparation for paint came next – interior had to be masked off to protect it from any wet sanding sludge

The panels are all coming up very nicely after wet sanding with 600 (direct gloss will be used as per roof, then blocked for clear)

Al did a quick walk around to show the panel work to date which helps when you are in a different part of the country!

2 amplifier fuses will be housed under a cover (to be painted)

Relays for EFI system will also be hidden from view under a cover

The body was masked in the booth and cleaned thoroughly in readiness for the PPG Deltron direct gloss red to be applied

byronmcmanus59
DSKer

Post by byronmcmanus59 »

67seeker wrote:
The custom tank was fabricated to house an in tank EFI pump/regulator – capacity is a couple litres bigger than a bay window tank – due to the fact we had to fit the intercooler water pump next to the tank, the capacity had to reduced slightly than what could have been achieved without the water pump in place.
Was there a reason for making the tank out of black?
67seeker
DSKer

Post by 67seeker »

I've been away at the TDU in sensational Adelaide. I dropped in to see Al yesterday - the boys have moved along quite a bit in that time!

After the red paint went on, the boys masked the lower half and sanded the lower part of the belt line that will be just below the deluxe trim

The doors and bolt on panels received some colour too

Before the two tone line to divide the red and white could be masked, all the doors had to be reinstalled and adjusted for height. Then the deluxe trim was installed so the mask line would be parallel to it (especially on the nose where Rob and Steve had quite a challenge to reshape the trim to match the nose).

splitbus
DSKer

Post by splitbus »

Al, they say you get better the more you do, so where can you go from here, top class work mate, I dont think I will park my bus beside this one at any get together
Mike |o\*/o| 55 11 Window

I don't have a bucket list I have a fu#kit list a mile long
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

byronmcmanus59 wrote: Was there a reason for making the tank out of black?
Sorry mate, missed your question until now - if aluminium was used it would have been hard to make the bends/folds in the thickness that was required which would have then necessitated a lot more TIG welding if all 6 sides were separate pieces. In steel we then were able to do just one long weld along the tanks length, and the welds around the ends.
Al
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

splitbus wrote:Al, they say you get better the more you do, so where can you go from here, top class work mate, I dont think I will park my bus beside this one at any get together
Thanks mate :wink:
byronmcmanus59
DSKer

Post by byronmcmanus59 »

Dasdubber wrote:
byronmcmanus59 wrote: Was there a reason for making the tank out of black?
Sorry mate, missed your question until now - if aluminium was used it would have been hard to make the bends/folds in the thickness that was required which would have then necessitated a lot more TIG welding if all 6 sides were separate pieces. In steel we then were able to do just one long weld along the tanks length, and the welds around the ends.
Al
Thanks for the reply al. What thickness did you require? you should have been able to fold that up quite easily. I only say this as I'm a sheety and unless you go to a lot of effort lining that tank i guarantee it will rust.
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Will have to check on the thickness as the tank was organised whilst I was away previously - we were guided by the sheet metal shop's recommendations re. material so unless they just had an aversion to working with aluminium for some reason, we took on their advice and went with steel.

We used KBS fuel tank sealer and ensured all surfaces were thoroughly coated internally including the neck.
Al
Tonz Magonz
Mod

Post by Tonz Magonz »

Just putting a bit more air in your tyres Al and Rob...AWESOME work...

Waiting patiently for some performance feedback and better freight pricing on the Red9 front end...getting closer by the day, looking at these pics... :)
Wanted..Barny bits or 60's Supercharger other than Judson