59 11 window Splitty Custom Resto

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

byronmcmanus59
DSKer

Post by byronmcmanus59 »

Dasdubber wrote:Will have to check on the thickness as the tank was organised whilst I was away previously - we were guided by the sheet metal shop's recommendations re. material so unless they just had an aversion to working with aluminium for some reason, we took on their advice and went with steel.

We used KBS fuel tank sealer and ensured all surfaces were thoroughly coated internally including the neck.
Al
Sounds good, I personally don't like alloy either, just because it seems to get a jelly gum build up.. stainless is the way. I think with the sealer you used you should be right.

Looks awesome btw :wink:
67seeker
DSKer

Post by 67seeker »

Here's the latest installment - been a while - we are getting oh so close....

After the small amount of red on the lower part of the belt line was rubbed, everything was masked again ready for the white

Steve cleaning

Al painting

Partially demasked...

Since the inner wheel arches (the back side of the doglegs and rear side panels) couldn't be painted when the underside was done (as the bodywork wasn't finished on the sides), everything had to be masked yet again so these areas could be painted

The whole bus was then wet sanded to make it flat and smooth before the clear went on
split tin
Newly Converted

Post by split tin »

This is a credit to you guys, looks AWESOME :)
LM
DSKer

Post by LM »

:shock: Damn!
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

I'm sure Armando will update some photos of progress soon (has been quite a bit in the last few weeks).

Here are a few pics to whet the appetite.

Also I have to say a massive thanks to Geoff from Stikmans Classic Transport (koolkat here on dsk) who tilt trayed Armando's bus to the show last weekend at they Sunny Coast and back to my workshop at Burleigh Heads. Geoff came all the way down from Rockhampton for the show, and also has done quite a few transports for us to and from Sydney. He is a splitty owner so that helps as well!

If anyone needs interstate VW (or other) transporting, Geoff takes great care and pride in his service. Plug over :)

Geoff - 0419 723 815
Hoves
DSKer

Post by Hoves »

Its a beautiful ride (as always) that you have built there Al - great stuff and cant wait for the finished product..
noseridermatt
Newly Converted

Post by noseridermatt »

That looks cool as fuck, well done Das Auto :D
matara
Admin

Post by matara »

Al, is it finished and on its way to Sydney? Gee you went from colour sanding to finished bus in a blink! Amazing job you've done to it!

Nice to see 'Another Kombi Rescued'! ;)'

Cheers

Steve
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Beautiful work, mate.
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
dawerks
DSKer

Post by dawerks »

That is insanely straight and glossy!

Can I ask what materials you used for primer/paint? And what grit was the panel sanded to before paint? It looks soo shiny even without paint!

And finally, what grit was the base coat sanded to? (I'm painting my Deluxe and I want to learn as much as possible).

Wow, that side is just a giant mirror!! :)
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Thanks guys, not finished yet Steve - waiting on longblock to be finished. Wiring and air con lines going in at the moment then audio and trimming. We are getting close though!

All ppg products used throughout - dp40 epoxy used over bare metal/filler sanded to 120 grit, then deltron d8046 high build primer over that (with many subsequent rounds of block sanding and repriming to 240 grit dry. Final primer flow coats were reduced a little more then wet block sanded with 800 before deltron direct gloss went on. This was then wet blocked with 800 as well before deltron d800 clear went on. Colour sanding started at 1200 wet, then 1500 then 2000 all by hand with a final 3000 3m trizact pad on da small orbit sander. Then cut, swirl remove and wax. Sounds quick when you explain it in one paragraph!

Al
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

Here are some pics I got of this thing at Dubs by the pub on the weekend.
This thing is soooooooo straight and shiney. Pics don't do it justice..........

Top work as always by Al and the boys at Das Resto Haus 8)

2018 Year of the Barndoor
martinigreenbus
DSKer

Post by martinigreenbus »

How good is the last pic with the reflection of the fat Square !!!!

That is awesome Al & Crew. Nice one 8)
scutemmm
DSKer

Post by scutemmm »

That is some seriously strait panels-well done!

I think I could be happy with that but probably don't have that mutch patience to get anything that strait.
1967 panel
1957 FE Holden
Ducati ST2
BMW 325i
67seeker
DSKer

Post by 67seeker »

Time for another update as lots has been happening in the last few weeks. I haven't been able to get to Reedy Creek for a while (Bugger!) but as you can imagine I have been checking in with Al every other day getting photo updates and details of the progress - last chat was about the wiring - but more on that later - Some of the images show different variants of the main colour but for the record it is called "Marsala Red"

The bumpers got their coats of paint and clear

After Rob sanded the colour flat, Al applied the clear to the doors and bolt on panels

Then the body was next for some clear

Al told me the slight texture in the clear (he called it orange peel) would be flattened out during more sanding and buffing, he was certainly right as the process made a huge difference

Cut and pasting from Al's explanation to me, the process involved "wet block sanding the panels with 1200 grit, then 1500, then 2000 by hand, then a buzz with 3000 grit Trizact pad on the small orbit dual action sander, then buffing begins with cutting compound on its respective pad, then swirl remover on a different pad, then finally wax"