1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

red hot bus wrote:Glad I could help, and had a blast in the senator not use to that much power hahah
Hard to not smile when you have 650HP pulling and its pulling 7,000 rpm :D

Really appreciate your help, gave me the confidence to get stuck in. Making those first few cuts with the angle grinder were pretty nerve wracking!
Last edited by VRSenator065 on Sun May 01, 2016 11:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Zimblewinder wrote:Wow, sorry I haven't been paying attention to this thread. I could have saved you a bit of trouble here and there. That's my rotisserie design. Its cool to see yours and other peoples mods from the original, like your variation to the side support mechanism and wheels on the side arms too. My original i lift up with the trolley jack too. then its a gentle roll to the 45 and then I can lower it down from there by myself with the trolley jack as a catch. The side support bar on mine is straight and so I can use it on either side of the vehicle. The other thing, the pipe wrap Ive alwqys heard, is fibreglass.

Looks like youre having fun.

cheers
Dale
Thanks mate, Sorry i didn't know who i copied it from, I just found some random pics on the internet and off I went. I reckon for a shed with limited space its perfect. Def the balance of the jig is pretty good. I just got my friends over more from a safety point of view as I didn't want something to get out of hand.

And I sure am having fun :D
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

No need to apologise. Im happy to say after I posted it on thesamba.com many moons ago, that design has gone all around the world now. Its great to see it helped lots of people out. I designed it with my 23 window in mind. I wasn't sure that a front and rear swing would be ok with the amount of metal I was going to have to remove from my 23 along with the extra holes it already had (designed) in it. I thought the cradle frame would help reduce the body flex. Initially I only had a big carport to work on it too so I built it to those limitations. I have to admit I was pretty surprised with how light the bus was in the design when it came to rolling it. Far exceeded my expectations. Jagged that one :wink:
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

What the old saying "it takes a lot of work to make something that simple" Works a treat mate :D I was a little the same, originally thought a rotisserie but was worried it would flex too much, they also take a fair bit of room um front and back for the mechanism. Gotta say now just having in on the Dolley but on my hoist is working out really easy to work on it. Not sure now it will go back on its side again. But at least it did its job and one day I plan on selling it on once mines done to someone else restoring one.

Got an open inspection going on next door right now, so thought I would lay off the grinder and tools for a while :mrgreen:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Well that's a wrap for the week end. Really happy actually feel like I have made heaps of progress. Suesy must be happy she made a nice lunch that we sat out in the shed and enjoyed chatting about different ideas for the interior layout. Living the dream :D
gaz
DSKer

Post by gaz »

Nice work mate, good progress...and stage by stage build pics, they're great.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

gaz wrote:Nice work mate, good progress...and stage by stage build pics, they're great.
Thanks very much, yep if anyone followed my other build I did the same thing. Actually i find it really good to be able to go back sometimes and recheck what I had done and when etc. Sort of an online record of the build if ya know what I mean. Funny to hear comments from friends etc who think I ma crazy and its too far gone. I know I have tons of work ahead of me but to me that's all part of the fun. And at the end i get hopefully a cool cruiser to really enjoy.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Zimblewinder wrote:The other thing, the pipe wrap Ive alwqys heard, is fibreglass
So just got the report back from my friend at Bureau Veritas, you are dead right. Its Fiberglass matting not Asbestos :D
gaz
DSKer

Post by gaz »

VRSenator065 wrote:
Zimblewinder wrote:The other thing, the pipe wrap Ive alwqys heard, is fibreglass
So just got the report back from my friend at Bureau Veritas, you are dead right. Its Fiberglass matting not Asbestos :D
Good to know, cheers
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Got a bit more done on the week end given Sunday was taken up with mothers day duties. Removed the chassis cross member behind the cab (not sure the correct name?) that was totally gone with the tin worm. Also got the rear hatch (correct name again?) off, had to drill out the screw holding it in, as they had rusted in, not even heat was going to shift them. Also tidied up the edges of the floor that have been butchered and where I had taken off the nose panel. Sort of feel like I am getting close to send it to the blasters now.

Then took the Senator for a spin after getting some new tyres, gave it the once over and put it back in the shed. Nice week end.
DRHEMS3
DSKer

Post by DRHEMS3 »

Nice build thread! Very close to blasting time! Have you starting stocking up on replacement metal and prefab panels? Stay away from really cheap stuff
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks, actually i am hoping Andrew is going to make it to make it to my place this week end just to have a look before I send it off for blasting, but also to make a more definitive list of the panels. Def plan on going the better quality route, mainly as i am such a beginner i want to give myself the best possible chance of making a go of it.
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

Mate, for a beginner you do some pretty nice work :D
61 dc
67 beetle
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

63 left hooker wrote:Mate, for a beginner you do some pretty nice work :D
Just don't pay me by the hour ha ha. Seriously though the body work thing has me a little apprehensive. But slow and steady hopefully wins the race.
kombi niko
DSKer

Post by kombi niko »

when ever you see heaps of red and blue anodized parts in a engine bay that can only mean fun times ;)