1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

VRSenator065
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

63 left hooker wrote:Time to weave your magic, good luck :D
Thanks its a bit daunting, but really looking forward to it. I spoke to Andrew who is helping with advice and he suggested doing the central chassis,floor area first so that I have a nice solid base before moving on to the other panels etc. This is the first time at any kind of body work so also I think good advice as it means I start on something that's not visible as i try and get the hang of it. So just spent an hour looking at the DAS Resto Parts website just to see what parts I need as they have the pictures etc. I think its going to take a while to get my head around all the names, like out rigger, top hats, rockers etc. Already gone out to the shed half a dozen times looking at what i have! So I have done up a lost and will get it through to him to see what he thinks of the list etc.

I was also on YouTube and found some nice videos of guys restoring split windows bu if anyone has any suggestions on good videos, books, or even a build thread on here similar to what I am doing feel free to make suggestions.
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

VRSenator065 wrote:
63 left hooker wrote:Time to weave your magic, good luck :D
Thanks its a bit daunting, but really looking forward to it. I spoke to Andrew who is helping with advice and he suggested doing the central chassis,floor area first so that I have a nice solid base before moving on to the other panels etc. This is the first time at any kind of body work so also I think good advice as it means I start on something that's not visible as i try and get the hang of it. So just spent an hour looking at the DAS Resto Parts website just to see what parts I need as they have the pictures etc. I think its going to take a while to get my head around all the names, like out rigger, top hats, rockers etc. Already gone out to the shed half a dozen times looking at what i have! So I have done up a lost and will get it through to him to see what he thinks of the list etc.

I was also on YouTube and found some nice videos of guys restoring split windows bu if anyone has any suggestions on good videos, books, or even a build thread on here similar to what I am doing feel free to make suggestions.
Mate I have nothing but admiration for people such as yourself who take on this kind of a challenge. I wouldn't have a hope in hell!!!!
61 dc
67 beetle
rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Awesome photo's thanks for sharing
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Not scared are u!!!! Great progress so far, it's great to see that the inner panel at the rear will be sealed properly.
Last edited by D-Train on Sat Jun 03, 2017 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks all, i got into the habit of posting lots on progress with the Senator, so plan on doing the same with this. I enjoy chatting to like minded people and getting help from those in the know. Slow and steady wins the race :D
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

D-Train wrote:Not scared are u!!!! Great progress so far, it's great to see that the inner lady at the rear will be sealed properly.
How high do you think it should sit??
61 dc
67 beetle
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

63 left hooker wrote:
D-Train wrote:Not scared are u!!!! Great progress so far, it's great to see that the inner panel at the rear will be sealed properly.

NASA aerospace high!!! Haha
63 left hooker
DSKer

Post by 63 left hooker »

D-Train wrote:
63 left hooker wrote:
D-Train wrote:Not scared are u!!!! Great progress so far, it's great to see that the inner panel at the rear will be sealed properly.

Still a funny farker!!!
61 dc
67 beetle
D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

63 left hooker wrote:
D-Train wrote:
63 left hooker wrote:

Still a funny farker!!!

Not just with problems.. haha
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

^Lol, not sure i get the above exchange fellas :D
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hi all, thought I would post this in the actual build thread.

I was lucky enough to score one of the cargo doors I am chasing off a helpful member on here that has come up pretty good with the blasting. I reckon with some tlc and work will come up great. But I am seeking the matching front Cargo door. If anyone has one that they would like to go to help keep another one on the road, please let me know. Of course happy to pay whats fair going rate

This is the one I have. I think its the correct one for an 11 Window, June 1960 build? My car is high hinge, are there any other difference I need to know about?

rusty 55
DSKer

Post by rusty 55 »

That door will fit, but is earlier than your bus, I think yours should have an indent for the handle on the outside. I could be wrong but I thought 58 was the last year of the smooth door. Just means you will need an earlier handle
it’s got nuffin to do wiv yer “vor sprung Durch technic” ya know!
rusty 55
DSKer

Post by rusty 55 »

This is the one your bus should have 59-61
Attachments
IMG_0417.JPG
it’s got nuffin to do wiv yer “vor sprung Durch technic” ya know!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

^Thanks very much for the info on the door mate, much appreciated. I would much rather let that door go to someone who has one it suits and source the right one for mine but it does seem they are hard to come by.

Had a fun day today, my Dad and uncle have played around with car restos in a low key way, mainly with old stuff and my Dad at one stage picked himself up a CIG spot welder at a swap meet. He hasn't used it much but has leant it to me so I thought I would have a play. So a half a dozen YouTube videos later I seem to have got the basic hang of it. Should make some of the stuff a little easier than plug welding everything.

D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

VRSenator065 wrote:^Lol, not sure i get the above exchange fellas :D

Jokes about my daily driver and the transition from low to high.
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=16145