DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by VRSenator065 »

Love you to come up mate :)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

So i like to post a lot!!, I like the fact its sort of keeps a nice record of progress, apologies if it gets a bit boring. So today finished the drivers side outside chassis repair, So that's a mini milestone I think with basically the actual chassis all solid. Also had a member here "red hot bus" come down and have a look and gave me some fantastic tips and walked me through a whole heaps of areas I was unsure of. Then went up to his place and saw his mini (maxi) collection of splitties, holy cow has he got some beautiful projects on the go. His single cab ute is just bloody awesome. So came back all enthused and tackled the cargo door hinge captive plates. What a pita, I tried an impact hammer, no good, then tried a tip RHB suggested of welding a nut but that wasn't very successful either. So ended up carefully cutting access form behind, then drilled out the bottom bolt completely, then took the head off the top one and was able to prise the plates up and out. I have taped the pieces I cut out to the pillars so later on I should be able to weld them back in, I was worried i might lose them otherwise. Also just did a little trimming and cleaning up of the lower valance on the nose just to start to see what i have to play with. So all in all a great couple of days. Have to say i am truly blown away by the friendliness of the VW people I have met and talked to so far, everyone seems willing to share advice, and also seem to have a few stories to tell of how they found "the one". Just awesome.
Few pics for posterity
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Yesterday got all the doors and stuff i have collected and had a look at what i have. So the only part of significance i think i am chasing is the right drivers side front door.

I have a very good condition drivers side front door with minimal rust, but unfortunately its the wrong (later) year, so it has the wrong handle area and latch mechanism. Ideally i would love to swap it with someone who has one that's correct for my year. If anyone has one and is interested is swapping, or at least selling me the correct one please feel free to pm me and let me know. This is the door I have that the wrong year. I am in Adelaide.

bulliboy
DSKer

Post by bulliboy »

No problem keep up with the posts we lovethem. 8)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

bulliboy wrote:No problem keep up with the posts we lovethem. 8)
Thanks mate, looking forward to doing a bit more this week end, thinking i might set up a few thin material test pieces and have another play with the mig setting and see if i cant perfect the tack/spot welding on the thin gauge stuff. I want to have a go at repairing these on the inner nose section (not sure that's the right name for the panel?).
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Another fun day, we have a lot on tomorrow so I am not sure I will get to do any more so thought I would post. Have to its a very steep learning curve I am on!! I was very happy how I got the hang of the chassis section, but the thin wall work is a whole new ballgame.

I wanted to play around with the headlight bucket support panel (I think that's what its called?) as you wont really get to see it when the nose is on, and it has some shape to it so i thought its a good place to start. The first bit I did was someone in a previous time had quite literally taken to it with an axe. So I cut out a piece of some 1mm sheet I have and made up a patch. Went well I think with the welding, but I think I got way too cute with trying to smooth everything perfectly. I also I reckon didn't take enough time making sure it was exactly aligned. Two valuable lesson learned. I did get good penetration though, so when all the bracing is out of the cab i will smooth it a little.

There was then another horizontal "gash" so i cut that out, and got a chance to use my new panel clamps, I also took great care to get the patch exactly level with the bus panel, and also didn't go too crazy with grinding it after. Very happy with the result.

Next I am going to tackle making a large replacement section for the lower right bottom of the panel below the headlight bucket as its pretty much rusted out. There's also some rust holes here and there in other spots on the panel that I will patch. But at least I have saved the money on buying a whole new replacement panel and am learning all the time.

Some pics;

Also, can someone help me. these are the cargo door hinge captive plates. Buy my measurement they were 3mm thick, I have some 3mm mild steel sheet. Do i just make exact replicas? I also measure the bolts as M8, is that right, and is it M8x1.25? And then is there any special trick to fitting them,before I then weld the cover back in position?
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Lovin the updates, keep them coming
Looks like a cool shed to be spending some time in
Keep up the good work
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

braddick wrote:Lovin the updates, keep them coming
Looks like a cool shed to be spending some time in
Keep up the good work
Thanks mate, my shed set up is a big part of the hobby :D
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Make the new captive plates out of 6mm steel minimum. No more stripping then. 3mm only worked because they were punched.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

splitthis wrote:Make the new captive plates out of 6mm steel minimum. No more stripping then. 3mm only worked because they were punched.
Thanks for that, as it turns out on the week end I met up with Vanell on here who is doing the incredible cubby hut build. I had actually read his whole build thread previously, so nice to then actually meet with him in person, and have a look at his bus. He had a pair of the cargo door hinges I needed so super happy about scoring those, still getting used to the generosity of the VW bus community, very cool. It just leaves the one lower hinge on the rearward door I am looking for, but at least I have both uppers for the high hinge which seems are harder to find.

He gave me a few very use tips, but also mentioned another Adelaide member on here Pat, who it seems makes up hinge captive plates for the cargo doors and front doors, amongst other things. I try to do most things myself, but it does seem like the go might be to try and buy some of those off him. I have contacted him via sms so will wait to hear back from him, if he cant then i will do them myself.

Also have tee'd up with the blaster to do my cargo doors and the good front door I have, so then once i have the hinges sorted i can get the cargo doors set up which i need for when i do the internal floor section and rockers etc.

Still chasing an ice pick drivers door though, and have the excellent later one to swap, so if anyone out there has one, please let me know.

These are the hinges i scored, a little bit of heat and a tidy up and they should be good to go :D

chuck85
DSKer

Post by chuck85 »

Build coming along nicely. Nice work
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Well that's a wrap for today. Pretty much got everything done on the headlight bucket panel. Been good learning on a part that wont be seen once the nose goes on. Got to try out my sheet metal jenny to give the large repair section the right curve. Then used a jigsaw and cut some timber to match the curve then used that to clamp the sheet whilst i dressed it over, turned out pretty good I think.

Also got to try my spot welder out, was a little apprehensive but seemed to work really well. Man its heavy so i came up with a bit of an idea to use my engine crane and some occy straps to support it. Haven't ever spot welded before, I gave it a few seconds until the heat effected zone was about 10mm diameter. If anyone has any other tips if that not right please feel free to let me know.

Also Cooper (RedHotBus) recommended one of these 50mm (2") sanders. man how good are they!! So much better than a grinder, much more finesse and control.

So hopefully my inside cargo area parts will come along soon, as that's the next big job. Few pics for posterity;

rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Those little air sanders are awesome,money well spent :D
Cam Biscuit
DSKer

Post by Cam Biscuit »

I got a lot of use out of my finger (belt) sander.

Good for getting access into tight spots
bulliboy
DSKer

Post by bulliboy »

looks like your shearing sheep not spot welding with that tackle 8)