1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

D-Train
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by D-Train »

Looking good so far!! I bet Welding in the heat isn’t fun tho.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

I'm certainly looking forward to a cool change!!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

More progress, one pretty much fully welded floor area. Lots of (for me) difficult welds in weird and hard to get too places. Started out the day with my welds a bit ordinary, but got much better by the end. I think its a cross between technique and settings. But really starting to make some progress. Now I have something solid to build off of. Also with it cooling off a little, got a chance to do a bit of a shed and tool tidy up. For some reason I hate working in a messy environment, when its clean and tidy, I just find it easier to work. Prob my OCD kicking in, but it works for me :wink:

D-Train
DSKer

Post by D-Train »

Kicking goals an not toes in a clean shed!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Yea for me just makes it all easier. Also sometimes gives you an excuse to just pause for a while rather than rushing into it.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Great work mate. Putting the rest of us to shame with your speed.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks mate. Been planning this time off for a while. Looks like I have missed a few bits and pieces. For something to simple there is a lot of parts to make up one piece. But all part of the fun.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

I reckon I am calling it for today, thankfully way cooler. Got the front longitudinal member welded in that goes under the cargo doors. Then had to rebuild the lower part of the C pillar. shit fiddly job tbh. Not super happy with the transition of how the old and new parts meet, but I think its just the nature of repro panels. The main part I focused on was the channel shape around he door for the seal, pretty happy with that. Door gap looks good. Another one crossed off the list. Happy new year all!!

Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

nice straight work. Good to make progress isn't it. I like my shed clean too...just can't seem to keep it that way long enough. Ill be happy to have one bus out of the way so I can make big inroads to making space. My dad had the right idea. He bought a big block and kept adding onto the shed. His last laugh he tells me, is that I have to clean out the shed when he ships off. Perhaps Ill just move in instead.

Happy new year all

dale
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Got enough confidence to have a go at my first body repair. Did the section behind the cargo doors. They are not kidding when they say some replacement panels need to be "massaged" to the right shape! It had to be aligned vertically with the door side, to keep that gap consistent, which meant it hung down at a few degrees at the back. Bit of a head scratch and decided to tack it in aligned with the door, then put a slice in, rotate it up then slit it and re-weld. Turned out well. My welds were abysmal at first (even after heaps of test pieces) but by the end I was able to lay small spots that needed not much grinding. Also went slow and steady to minimize heat build up and warpage. Have ground it back maybe 80% but want to wait until Cooper comes over and gives me some advice on how to dolly it out a bit. But all in all, happy days.

red hot bus
DSKer

Post by red hot bus »

Looking the goods mate, hopefully home tomorrow. Will pop round ASAP.
Way too many projects
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

red hot bus wrote:Looking the goods mate, hopefully home tomorrow. Will pop round ASAP.
That would be great, but when you can mate. No rush!
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

have your air line over your shoulder and give each spot a squirt asap. Cools the area quickly limiting warpage. Keep grinding to short bursts too and again use the air as you go. Looks like you have the patience to do it slow. Which lower rocker was that? I was lucky with the last funky green one i fitted. Watch to see if you need to shrink the area at the bottom end of the slice you did. You might do well with a shrinking disc too ( I love mine ).

Cheers
Dale
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks very much for that, yes I have a shrinkage disc just another thing I need to learn to use!! Love the air line tips though thanks.

One of those days with a lot of toiling over a small detail, but very happy with the result. Rocker (sill) is fully welded, and the B pillar needed a lot of cutting and shutting, and fettling to get the shape right. Only tacked in a couple of places at the moment.
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Looking good Senator - what colour are you going to paint it?
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......