1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

splitthis
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by splitthis »

It’s coming along very nicely mate. You really want that rear end of the sill hard up against the c pillar. I think I needed to cut and lengthen mine to suit.
spl65t
DSKer

Post by spl65t »

Nice to follow another big Resto project on DSK !
Well Done
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

id also hang the left dogleg (with clamps) and see if you need to pull the B pillar a little on the forward edge to meet the bottom of the dogleg. The bottom fold still looks a little up towards the front to me. The rear of the rocker you could probably cut it vertically through where it is about 3mm from the gap end, wedge the end over against the rear panel and then weld up the gap.

Best way to learn with a shrink disc is to take a hammer to the inside of an old panel and then have a go at working it back down. I used a spray bottle at first but found it was easier and neater with the airline trick. My most successful work was flattening the og cargo floor panels in my 23. They were stretched between the crossmembers but rust free. (this was PG (pre-gerson) and the crappy orange panels were the only stuff available). I picked them out and buzzed them both sides. They laid down flat again and went back nicely where they came from.

cheers
Dale
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
cargo door outer handle 59
two perfect rear floor mats (pretty pretty please!!!)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks for all the tips fellas, much appreciated. Hot as the sun here today, so no shed work until it cools down.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Couldn't resist, put my fire proof suit on and went out and took a look. I see what you mean about the C Pillar and rocker. I think I could slit it vertically and pull/wedge it across and fill the gap with a filler piece. I am using copper backing plates on the thin stuff when I am welding and it seems to work very well. I am also starting to get better control of the fine spot welds needed on the panels. Cooper is coming around in the next day or so, will be good to have someone who knows these old buses actually looking at mine. Both my A Pillars are totally gone. The plan I was told was to tack the top only in position, then hang the door, and set it perfectly in position gap wise with the B Pillar, then clamp in the dog leg and see what i have to work with. Use the door as the datum if that makes sense?
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

With the mango I cheated a little. I hung the door, (low on the hinges so it could be adjusted up if and when it sags with old age) put two weld spots on the rear edge of the door to the b pillar so it was set in perfect position, then built the A pillar and front inner valance up to support the door at the set location. If the door ever drops at all I have the whole of the hinge adjustment movement to lift the door up again and now the A pillar position is naturally relaxed in a position where the door has the best gaps.

Don't know if my process made sense to you..sorry

I do the same; the copper spoon or plate is a really good idea, it sucks any excess heat away from the weld rather than the heat spreading out into the panel around the weld.

With the doglegs, did you get the two piece ones? If so, hang the door (get the gaps front and rear all nice) cleco/self tapping screw in the dogleg inner piece, then fit the dogleg outer skin up to set your lower door gap.
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Zimblewinder wrote:Don't know if my process made sense to you..sorry
Yep sure does, makes perfect sense!! Cheers
Zimblewinder wrote:With the doglegs, did you get the two piece ones?
No mine are pre-fabricated. But I think I can still sue a similar process.

Again thanks all for the info everone, its very much appreciated. I haven't ever tackled this kind of work before so its a bit of a steep learning curve!
braddick
DSKer

Post by braddick »

Nice to c u back into
Was hoping u hadn't lost interest in the project after not hearing from u in a while
Keep at it
I'm hoping to get a few days on mine once this heat goes today
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Bit more progress, made up a tricky little piece foe the front of the wheel arch.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Nice productive day. Cooper popped around yesterday and gave me some good info and tips. Very nice to have someone who knows these so well spend some time with me. Decided to put down the welder for a while and make a start on the A Pillars and Nose area. Carefully cut out the drivers side A Pillar, so many different pieces I was careful trying not to cut away the wrong part, so did it in small sections. Then wanted to fit the front lower panel, very fiddly job removing whats left of the old mounts for it and cleaning back the welds etc on the ends of the chassis. I am not removing the main floor so i just cut an access hole will do the same for the drivers side. I have new floor sides each side going in. But very exciting to mock it up roughly and start to see it taking some shape. Happy Days :D
Zimblewinder
DSKer

Post by Zimblewinder »

Id suggest you tech screw in your left dogleg so you can see how the door opening width is at the bottom. I had an inner valance that was a more open curve so the A pillar was sprung making the door gap too wide. I sliced the inner valance top and bottom (at the vertical fold/bend), used a ratchet strap to pull the A pillar towards the B pillar at the bottom to get the door opening right relative to the length of the dogleg, then welded up the slice. (I pulled from the bottom of the A pillar to the rotisserie frame under the B pillar) I also used a jack to raise the A pillar up when trial hanging the door before welding it all together.

Ratchet straps are great, you can also throw one around the front at dash board level to pull the A pillar against the dash and under dash brace for a tight fit before welding.

Cheers
Dale
March 58 Euro 23.
April 59 Mango
Wanted:
59 crank handle (tick!)
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thanks for the tip mate. Much appreciated. I just quickly dummied up the passenger door and it's close but out. Cooper suggested pretty much Tek screwing it all temporarily to allow me to get all the gaps etc right before welding. So sounds like that is the go, thanks.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

I tack welded my door in place then setup and tacked the A post on place , I’d fitted my dog leg prior to this . You can see in my build thread . It worked perfectly, my gaps are mint
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

067DUB wrote:I tack welded my door in place then setup and tacked the A post on place , I’d fitted my dog leg prior to this . You can see in my build thread . It worked perfectly, my gaps are mint
Hi mate, can you tell me what build thread and what page? Cheers
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

VRSenator065 wrote:
067DUB wrote:I tack welded my door in place then setup and tacked the A post on place , I’d fitted my dog leg prior to this . You can see in my build thread . It worked perfectly, my gaps are mint
Hi mate, can you tell me what build thread and what page? Cheers
Looks like it all went with Photo bucket , tomorrow I’ll pm you pics