1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

spl65t
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by spl65t »

Ripping into it !
Nice stuff and good tip there from Vanell about the butt welding 8)
Der Splitty.....slowest thing up the Blue Mtns, since Wentworth, Blaxland & Lawson :twisted:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

vanell wrote:Looking good mate, try to do all your welds as a butt weld, anything that overlaps has a chance to rust underneath, I know some places are impossible to do but make sure all your outside panels are butt welded. Ian
Thanks Ian, that's also what Cooper told me. I am going to do that wherever possible, but across the top of the rear corner I was worried about getting it exactly aligned with the curve. But on the long side for example, def butt welding. But 100% thanks for the tip, happy to take all advice and suggestions :D
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Vinda76 wrote:Fantastic work, coming along nicely
Appreciate the regular updates!
Thanks mate, I do like to do regular updates, part of the fun and keeps a record of what I did etc for the build. I got into that habit with the Senator and in the end the build thread ran to over 400,000 views. I like forums as people can share advice, and come along for the ride. FB is good but you don't always know who is commenting. But with Forums you quickly learn who knows what etc and who to take advice from. And these cars are pretty unique, so I need as much guidance as possible!!
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

One new corner repair done and dusted. Super happy with how it turned out. Haven't flattened the spot welds on the rear inside where the rear hatch goes, but can do that later. Took my time to "massage" it to get all the seams to line up. Definitely welding has so much to do with preparation. If everything is clean, aligned and tight, the welds almost take care of themselves. Time to turn it around on the hoist and tackle the long side.
splitthis
DSKer

Post by splitthis »

Looking great mate. You’re not going to fit in with the Adelaide crew, you work too fast and make the rest of us look bad. If you ask NOS Steve a good resto takes 1 year for every window on your bus :lol:
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Ha ha, helps when you have time off and most of the gear ready to go! And I am just coming off a 4 year build.
Ampdub
DSKer

Post by Ampdub »

what are you using to fill the seams?
Written off by a Swedish exchange student!!!
International licence my ass......
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

I am using weld though primer on both sides?
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hot again today, but more progress. Unfortunately have to head back to work a week early, so this week we will see the end of the daily assault. Happy with progress so far though.

So turned it around on the hoist and time to tackle the long side. Started by cutting out where was rotten, then marked up a couple of options and asked Cooper what he thought, he came up with a modified idea of my two options which made more sense (Dohh). While I was waiting to hear from him also started on the battery tray area. Got the long side mocked up and done a very rough trial fit. Seems to fit really well each end, so I dont think I am up for any funky mods which is good. Few pics for posterity.

067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

Looks great well done
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

More like surgery than panel beating...
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

morts wrote:More like surgery than panel beating...
Well my dad once referred to my workshop as more like a hospital than a shed. So maybe there is a theme there :D
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Not sure about surgery, more like trial fit, fettle, cut, grind, weld, grind, drill, weld, then rinse and repeat..

Long side pretty much done, def feel i am getting better particularly at prepping then welding. The cut was pretty ordinary initially and varied in gap width. So I hit on the idea of using a 2.5mm wide cutting disc,. I clamped it so the widest gaps were 2.5, then went along with the 2.5 cut. Then released it all and closed it up 1.5, leaving me a pretty good 1mmgap. Worked pretty well. In hind sight maybe should have tacked or tek screwed the new long side on, then marked it cut through both with a 1mm cut off disc, but live and learn. Might move on to the battery tray area, and see if I can get the other rear corner on by the time I go back to work.

morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

VRSenator065 wrote:Not sure about surgery, more like trial fit, fettle, cut, grind, weld, grind, drill, weld, then rinse and repeat..
Just like surgery then... :lol:
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
Steve Keeley
DSKer

Post by Steve Keeley »

orthopaedic surgery for sure!
the invisible and the non existent look very much alike!