1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Beatts
DSKer

Re: 1960 Split Window Resto/Rebuild

Post by Beatts »

I’ve got a passenger side inner that’s surplus to my needs. It’s from DAS resto.
PM me and I’ll send some pics.
You’re steaming ahead and would hate to see you lose any momentum.
Cheers
Beatts
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Beatts wrote:I’ve got a passenger side inner that’s surplus to my needs. It’s from DAS resto.
Cheers
Beatts
Cheers, pm sent
Gary
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Hi all, planning on starting to tackle the front doors tomorrow. So that's predominantly the lower inner, and outer skins. I plan on butt welding and using my little sheet metal box clamps (whatever they are called!) to tie it all together and get it aligned before welding. Any suggestions, tips etc an on how to go about it all? I was going to maybe do the inner frame first, then cut away the lower door skin and do that last?
vanell
DSKer

Post by vanell »

Good luck with these mate, I have always found them too wide, do the inner first.
IMG_3176.JPG
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Thank for the tip!
Beatts
DSKer

Post by Beatts »

VRSenator065 wrote:
Beatts wrote:I’ve got a passenger side inner that’s surplus to my needs. It’s from DAS resto.
Cheers
Beatts
Cheers, pm sent
Gary
Hi Gary
For some reason my two PMs won’t send, can you PM me your mobile number and I’ll txt you the details. I sent the panel home with Cooper this afternoon.
Cheers Beatts.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

That's me for the day, heading into the Fringe. Tricky little sucker to work on. Not sure if this door is really worth the effort but going to give it a crack. Haven't sanded the welds etc, doing a bit of racing the next couple of weeks so not sure when I will get another crack at it.

rabidkombi
DSKer

Post by rabidkombi »

Awesome work right there :D
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

rabidkombi wrote:Awesome work right there :D
Thank you!
Couldn't resist squeezing in an hour or two. Scored a donor door off Cooper that had the lower curved part. Interesting the height difference isn't there, so the mod I had to do to the lower part I now have to make this part to suit. must be just natural variances in years etc. Also Cooper popped down, and as I suspected the inner frame is OK, but the door skin is past saving on this side, so will buy a new skin, but finish the resto of the frame. The passenger door though looks like its saveable which is great. Especially having scored the repair panel off Beatts. So happy days :D

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Well that's Karting Nationals round one done and dusted, not the greatest meeting we have ever had, but what doesn't kill you makes you stronger (so they say!!)

So attention back to Walter, bit of ringing around and located a drivers side door skin correct for my year, man they are not cheap!! But we need it. With a bit of luck I may get it by the weekend which would be great, but if not I will move onto the passenger's side door.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Pretty happy with that given I'm a rank amateur. Just using what I have, which is a stuffed passenger side door what I need part of for that door, so cutting and shutting to get this done. Put my shrinker to good use and made up the curved part from scratch. Now I have the old skin off, tomorrow I will be able to attach it with a dolly and hammer and smooth it out a little, but I am not after a show car so happy now tbh. Finished the day just doing a test fit of the new skin, fits perfectly, almost clips into place. Happy days.
VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Holy crap that was a long day. This door seems to be a never ending story, but progress is progress I guess. Made up a section where the lower hinge reinforcing box had rusted away, happy how it tuned out. Then spent a bit of time going over what I had done so far and wasn't happy with the rest of the lower part of the frame so decided I may as well make up a new section since I have gone so far already. Then repaired the rusted out ends of the vertical struts using some donor parts off the old door I have. Its not finished but getting very close now. What an epic journey this bloody door has turned out to be!!

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Inner door done. What a lot of work. All rust cut out, donor pieces used to rebuild it. Have run out of sanding discs (and also energy tbh) so going to call it a day. Its all ready to have the skin fitted , then its do it all over again on the other door :wacko:

VRSenator065
DSKer

Post by VRSenator065 »

Volkswagens are crap, selling mine.
067DUB
DSKer

Post by 067DUB »

VRSenator065 wrote:Volkswagens are crap, selling mine.
Haha this is why they get under your skin , fkn things