59 Split 11 Window - Resto

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

Love the pics of the progress Dasdubber. I'm sure it gives us all inspiration. Keep 'em coming.

Is it possible to weld the side seat belt mounts in without damaging the exterior paintwork? I appreciate that the interior will require a touch up, but was wondering about the outside.
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

After cutting the lower nose off to assess the internal damage, I decided it was more cost effective (and better long term) to replace the entire nose so it was cut out before it goes off to blasting.

Despite great care and a variety of methods used pretty much every door screw (expect for one) on the front doors and cargos were rusted in situ and had to b drilled and tapped out. Nice way to kill a couple hours!

Although I originally intended to have the bus sodablasted, due to the extent of rust present it will get sandblasted (Jack had stripped all large surface area panels aready so warping won't be an issue). Sodablasting unfortunately not so great for rust neutralisation/removal.

Rather than load up too many pics there are more here if interested.
http://www.manxgallery.org/gallery/album568

One last one as I wrapped up tonight.

Hopefully onto a rotisserie tomorrow or friday.
Al

PS Ted in regards to side seat belt mounts, no damage to outside paint will occur - I did this to both Jack's bus and Ben's double door panel yesterday and neither had any signs of heat on the outside.
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

Get one of these viewtopic.php?t=5914&highlight=
You wont be drilling out so many bolts
Nicko
58 Standard
Wanted:
Caramel Front seat for 58 to 60 model. Not the hump style one. Any caramel interior stuff will be of interest
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Good stuff Nicko - I'll look into that.

I tried a large phillips attachment in my air powered rattle gun plus some heat but they still didn't budge....the air chisel with attachment above would have been interesting to try!
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

If you were closer I could of lent it to you so you can see how it works.
58 Standard
Wanted:
Caramel Front seat for 58 to 60 model. Not the hump style one. Any caramel interior stuff will be of interest
Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

Thanks for the reply Dasdubber. Think I will need to go down a similar route very soon.

Cheers

Ted
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Hi Al

What are the plans for seat belts in the rest of the bus as I am pondering this atm. I am not doing a resto, don't want to damage the og paint and trying to get a compromise between safety and appearance. Any help appreciated.

Michael
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
Dasdubber
DSKer

Post by Dasdubber »

Hey Michael, Jack is yet to finalise rear seating arrangement so will get back to you on that one :)
demon
DSKer

Post by demon »

My 56 is in pretty similar condition Al where the nose has been cut off etc it has extensive surface rust like Jack's.Very interesting indeed!
Cheers
Damo
chillax
DSKer

Post by chillax »

Thanks for all the comments guys, heres a bit of an update on how Al’s going :D
We had a tiny bit of a hiccup with the sandblasters... Al built this beautiful rotisserie already for the bus to go to the sandblasters on,
but the Sandblaster's room is quite low so this means the bus wouldn’t fit in the blasting room on the rotisserie.

Therefore a body dolly had to be made so it can roll in on castors and can be tilted to 45 degrees (and 90 if needed).

Apart from finalising some body attachments, the rotisserie is ready and waiting for some lovin'

The Sandblaster’s did pick up doors, bumpers, wheels etc today....should get the body be picked up Wednesday and be ready next week.

Jack
kombi1976
DSKer

Post by kombi1976 »

Gotta love a green rotiserie. :D
Cheers & God Bless

'62 Beetle
'62 Panel project
'67 Panel
Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

Hey Jack

Been following your progress on this thread and elsewhere. Your bus is in good hands and is looking the goods!

I recall an exchange you had with another 4171 postcode kombi owner (Mick) in Bris Vegas. Well I'm soon to add to the 4171 owners, when I take possession of '67 11 window.

Cheers

Ted
Ted2
DSKer

Post by Ted2 »

Hey Al

PM sent.

Cheers

Ted
chillax
DSKer

Post by chillax »

Thats awesome Ted!
We can do convoys around the block :D

Also heres a quick update, the split is off the hoist and rolling on the dolly.
Castors are on and side frame almost complete. Hopefully if the weather is good, it will soon be off to the blasters.

Jack