57 Microbus - Moss, but not as bad as Moss Monster!

Post pics and info of your rides here split windows only

Moderators: warb, Rawdyn, Leroy, byronbus, Tonz Magonz, dmb

hjsimpson01
DSKer

57 Microbus - Moss, but not as bad as Moss Monster!

Post by hjsimpson01 »

Introducing Otto...

Sorry took so long to get photos up, but to be honest I only just got him home on the weekend... (I felt like an imposter on this forum up until the weekend)

I'm assuming Otto here is Palm Green/Sand Green.
Scored him off a fellow VW guy (some know who he is!), was supposedly a 58... Numbers say otherwise. Happy with him all the same.

John (IN2VWS) has provided date and origin info on him already (Thanks John!)

The horrible lemon paint has undercoat, but then it is palm green under that. The even worse olive green paint on top (for want of a better name) has no undercoat. I am gently rubbing back... Although a lot of him will need a touch up! The Original Paint is quite thin, it looks like they made attemps to rough it up before the new paint went on...

From what I can tell he has had a nasty shunt in the front, similar to a few others I have seen on here. A pitty, as his nose metal is still really solid (I might try beating him right!) Sills are gone on both sides, and the cargo floor is half OK (possibly a replacement one for the price), front floor is not real good either. The rest of him is either full of bog or reasonably good. Maybe he had a part resto in the past?

Chassis, etc seems quite sound, although I think first thing I will do is have a good poke around underneath, after the spider smoke bomb of course!

Looks to have gotten quite wet inside as the floors are the worst bit. The interior trim looks to have gotten wet at some point too. Curling boards etc. There is a disgusting makeshift seat in the back which is now half out. I am chasing other original seats to go back in...

If anyone has parts they can see are obviously missing I am happy to look at exchanging for cash... Favours are available too, but you have to live in Tasmania! I have some doors, although they are to suit a late 58 onward until the hinge change (they have the callout behind the handle, mine isn't meant to have)
One is twisted, however both need a lower skin anyhow, so may just work with them.

If anyone can also provide history information on my Otto that would be great. It is believed to have been a school bus operating the North East of Tasmania. Possibly under "Fry's Buses". The person I purchased him off could only provide info as to where he was found and that it may have been a school bus, so more I can find out the better...

I'll post progress pics as I find the money to buy things and do the work...

Regards,
Rudolph
Attachments
Don't mind the untidy garage..
Don't mind the untidy garage..
IMG_1257.JPG (53.18 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Moved Otto too close to the wall to get a decent shot of this side.. :( when I move him back I will re-take.. Gotta fit Erika in somehow!
Moved Otto too close to the wall to get a decent shot of this side.. :( when I move him back I will re-take.. Gotta fit Erika in somehow!
IMG_1259.JPG (45.55 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
More clutter in the background... Hey! I spend more time on the Kombi than cleaning up... :P
More clutter in the background... Hey! I spend more time on the Kombi than cleaning up... :P
IMG_1263.JPG (58.79 KiB) Viewed 2635 times
Where there's a Will there's a Kombi....

<b>KERMIT</b> - 1957 PG/SG Microbus
<b>PAT</b> - 1964 PMG Panel
<b>GOGH</b> - 1965 PW Kombi
warb
Mod

Post by warb »

nice early project.
Kuchster
DSKer

Post by Kuchster »

Nice
Kuch's Laser Cut Products
http://www.kuch.com.au/laser
greenbus
DSKer

Post by greenbus »

Top score there!!

Can't beat the early micro's!
whatnow
DSKer

Post by whatnow »

hmmmm pgsg. lurvly
hjsimpson01
DSKer

Post by hjsimpson01 »

Thanks all for the positive comments, hope to have more progress shots this weekend, no fund for panel sections right now, so just stuffing about with what is OK on the bus... getting ready for new bits, prep work for sandblasting etc...

frenzix
DSKer

Post by frenzix »

such a nice looking bus.. be good to see it rolling.. whats the plans OG?
nicko
DSKer

Post by nicko »

Awesome bus- Makes sure you bag and tag everything when you pull it off and dont through anything. Even broken bits can be useful when you are looking for replacements
Cheers
Nicko
58 Standard
Wanted:
Caramel Front seat for 58 to 60 model. Not the hump style one. Any caramel interior stuff will be of interest
splitbus07
DSKer

Post by splitbus07 »

i was thinking the same thing. og would look tops on this beast.
shake, rattle and roll.
morts
DSKer

Post by morts »

Nice pick up. If it was a school bus there may be some logos under there somewhere....
No matter what happens they can't take you out in the street and shoot you......
hjsimpson01
DSKer

Plans

Post by hjsimpson01 »

I am currently rubbing back the horrible paint on top (very flakey) and trying to preserve the original paint as much as I can. I will see how that goes, obviously where there is surface rust, panel creases, dents etc I will have to blend. Hoping I don't have to add too much extra paint... So far the paint under appears quite good, although they did give it a light rubbing on some section before applying the current pain, so some section are rubbing through as soon as the top coat goes...

Yes Nicko, keeping everything even the broken bits

Morts, I hope to find something... But knowing my boss he may not have bothered with logos.... we'll see...

Frenzix (Tim), it rolls... :) Just I don't think in the terms you mean! LOL

I just brought home the 1200 for him, running motor, so i guess I better pull the rims off and do the brake work and engine bay next, that way I can fit the engine and move him about a bit... (I should stop fussing over the paint for a bit perhaps? But it's soooooo tempting to have him looking better....)

More progress shots soon

hjsimpson01
DSKer

rubbing back Photos

Post by hjsimpson01 »

OK, so I didn't get as much done as I would have liked to...

Here are some photos of what the paint looks like underneath...
Attachments
IMG_0404.jpg
IMG_0404.jpg (55.68 KiB) Viewed 2443 times
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg (34.78 KiB) Viewed 2443 times

aussietanker
DSKer

Post by aussietanker »

absolutely beeeeutiful - nice bus - with paint like that just rat it ... looks great
You can't overtake
If you're already in front.
Leroy
DSKer

Post by Leroy »

:shock: :shock: Sweet!.... Rat for sure 8)
Shaven
DSKer

Post by Shaven »

i love that paint combo... beautiful.
Only those whom drive a Dual Cab, Know what real driving is all about